Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chain hoist for equipment moving

A proper jib crane is self supporting and not tied to any part of the building except maybe a power line to run a motorized hoist. The foundation can be a four foot cube of concrete or more. They will come with a foundation plan, normally included in the sales material.
    Bill D.

Check out this thread where Alan Schaffter shows his soloution. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-installation Dan

That's definitely inventive. Only place I could do that would be over the top of a 20' garage door opening in a 24' wide building. The engineering to support that would cost a fortune compared to what I'm looking to do. I also don't have the height for that - 9' ceilings below a flat roof. Nowhere for that beam to stow away to.

Also, I think his bolt pivot is undersized for the kind of loads he's lifting. Great concept, but that seems to be a weak point. Guessing its working for him though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    Check out this thread where Alan Schaffter shows his soloution. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-installation Dan

Yep, he's aware of what I plan to do in there. That's why were making the trusses so deep and the flooring so thick. Will be talking more on the details as the design is finalized, but he's very aware that I want 1000lb plus equipment in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    This is a side comment, but I’m in the middle of a new shop build and will also have it fulll of old iron. You should talk to your architect or engineer about load bearing for your floor. We significantly increased our live loads after reviewing the machinery weights.

Jon

I don't have space for 3000lb equipment, but fully intending to have 1500 lb items. Will probably plan on around 2000, if I want to go bigger than that, I'll need to move shops...

I will def have a mix of newer and older, so the whole shop won't be loaded with one ton items...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Old iron machines will range in the 1000-3000 lb depending but they are always more than you would guess. The second floor shops I've seen full of old iron are often made with structural concrete rather than wood. You may want to stay more with used newer Euro type machinery with steel bases, lighter motors and less build. Cuts 1/3 to 1/2 of the weight. Dave

You might have to let me know when those come up :-P I can fit 9'. Seen a few models in that size range come by, but not that many. Not sure I want to go quite that big either, but am in the market for a good large bandsaw. Got a couple not great BSs itching to go on the market and out the door...

Will def keep it in mind. I'm more concerned with the floor structure than the beam, as it won't get used often, and I could take motors off etc to get the thing up there if i really had to. But good points to consider overall as I finalize plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    To second David, i would shoot for atleast 2500lbs min. for whatever you do right now. I dont know the spec weight of that robland/laguna you are looking at, but i guarantee its over 1500lbs. Surprisingly, you dont need to go too far before you tip the scales. Would suck to have your structure under engineered by 500-1000lbs 1-2 years down the road when you have a tool you want to upgrade. Already this year ive watched a dozen northfield/oliver/tannewitz 32-36" bandsaws sell for $400-700 jut because i cant fit their height in my basement. You dont want that to happen to you with weight.

Small urban environment... where on earth would I put such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A proper jib crane is self supporting and not tied to any part of the building except maybe a power line to run a motorized hoist. The foundation can be a four foot cube of concrete or more. They will come with a foundation plan, normally included in the sales material.
    Bill D.

8. Motorized block and tackle with straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cummins View Post
    Small urban environment... where on earth would I put such a thing?
    Just inside the garage door, in the corner, so it can swing outside a few feet into a truck. Or put it just outside and use it to hang a hammock or flowering plants in pots.
    I

Do you have a small tractor with front end loader? The weight of your equipment is within the ability of the loader to lift, if you have the height ability. Or maybe there is a rental company nearby.

But how does that get my equipment onto the 2nd floor? Outside is the street, city won't allow that. To the left or right are neighbor's properties, pretty sure they won't like that. Behind the garage I have a tiny bit of space, but how would I get the equipment to that area (its trapped between the garage and the house).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Just inside the garage door, in the corner, so it can swing outside a few feet into a truck. Or put it just outside and use it to hang a hammock or flowering plants in pots.
    I

Who do you know in a tight urban environment with a tractor with a front end loader that can reach 13 feet off the ground? I don't even have a lawnmower (for the house - have them for the rentals), because I don't have a lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Do you have a small tractor with front end loader? The weight of your equipment is within the ability of the loader to lift, if you have the height ability. Or maybe there is a rental company nearby.

How long does your beam have to be? If just say 4' then a much lighter beam will suffice. One challenge with overhead rigging is that you will run out of height, after you subtract for rail, trolley, hoist, hook and sling. Work out this before you get into it any further. I think you will want the hoist up in the roof truss / joist space. Consider an air powered hoist.

I recommend a 3 phase hoist run by a vfd. A lightweight used 3 phase hoist will probably be cheaper then single phase. The vfd will give soft start, variable speed, and dynamic braking for good load control.
    Bil lD

So, Michael, how did you finally solve this? Given your limitations and parameters I didn't see a solution you embraced. Just curious what you decided as the best.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.