Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift card; Lowes vs Home Depot Vs Menards?

Gift card; Lowes vs Home Depot Vs Menards?

I will get a gift card for my nephew who bought a new house. Never heard of Menards is it about the same as the other two big box stores? The store locators for Lowes and Hoe Depot turn up nothing for his area of western Wisconsin.
    His wife gets a a target card, nearest target is about 20 miles ,but the locator on the target website says 175 miles?

Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-03-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I’m looking forward to having a Menards after we move, as I’ve heard good things.

But, that being said, an Amazon card is sure to please.

Id go with Amazon too. Especially if you dont know the area well that they are moving to.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have all three near me. I buy from all three. They are roughly comparable in terms of the general types of products carried. I prefer menards for building materials, including fasteners and plumbing/electrical supplies. For sizeable building material purchases I go to a local lumberyard. I prefer HD or Lowes to Menards for general construction tools. For appliances, I look for whichever has the best price on the brand/model I want. I've found Menards to be best when special ordering items.

I wouldn't hesitate to give a Menards gift card to anyone needing big box type stuff. If he's not familiar with Menards, the key is to time major purchases to fall when they are having their 11% rebate sale, which seems to happen about 1 week out of every month or so, sometimes more. The rebate is in the form of a store credit coupon, but that's never been a problem for me.

Menards seems to be well likes by folks who have them in their area.

That said, I agree with the Amazon suggestion...much, much more versatile, IMHO, especially for a new homeowner.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In general, I would agree with the Amazon card as well with the one caveat that they are a Prime Member, otherwise shipping could eat up some of the value of the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Menards seems to be well likes by folks who have them in their area.

That said, I agree with the Amazon suggestion...much, much more versatile, IMHO, especially for a new homeowner.
    I've got all three in my area. Menard's lumber yard is 10 times bigger and better than HD or Lowe's yet not at the level of a hardwood dealer. Their offer a much bigger selection of just about everything; construction lumber, plywood, dimensioned hardwoods, etc. Most of the time it's cheaper than HD or Lowe's as well. It's the only big box store in my area to offer MDO. Their plywood is on par with HD (other than Purebond) but they offer a lot more of it and it's stacked much better.

Their tool selection is probably the worst of the three overall.

In regards to MEP, they are cheaper and have a bigger selection than HD or Lowe's. For instance, their 6" pvc sewer pipe is around $15 compared to $35ish at HD.

The shopping "experience" at Menard's is hit or miss. Customer service is pretty good but the aisles seem tight and the layout is not ideal. For instance, I went to buy a gallon of Titebond II which they said they had on their site. All of the small bottles of Titebond are in the tool section but their large bottles are in the paint section which is on the complete opposite end of the store. The good thing is that when I asked a rep where the large bottles were she walked me right to the spot. That's something that Lowe's used to do but now it's just mumbling and pointing.

I'd go to Menard's more often but it's a 30 minute drive compared to Lowe's, HD, True Value and a Do It Best store all within five minutes of my house.

Menards also has food (not fresh - boxed and canned), pet supplies, more work clothes, some toys and kitchen stuff. Its much larger than the HD or Lowes around here, and has more variety of things lumber, paint and home improvement. But its so large that its a long trek from the front door to where you want to be.

One of the Menards here in town has a second floor like this one in the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv1InQzj7Iw
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My son is in Madison and has all three close to him.
    I love Menards; it is like a cross between HD and HF.

You can generally find Lowes gift certificates on line for 90% of retail, so they make great gifts.

Geez, give him cash. Then he gets to decide where he wants to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    yeah but. We have several hundred in brownie points with our visa card that we can redeem for a gift card
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-03-2018 at 8:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    yeah but. We have several hundred in brownie points with our visa card that we can redeem for a gift card
    Can you use those points to buy yourself a gift card? Then you get to buy one where you know you're going to shop. And the kid gets cash to shop wherever he wants.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-03-2018 at 8:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Only two things missing from Menards.....Ammo and Alcohol
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Menards seems to have a far better assortment of things that blue or orange borgs. For example, instead of 1 or two types or those stones you put around a flower bed, they had 4 kinds. I spot checked other items and got a similar result on all of them - just a much wider assortment of a given thing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”