Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gift card; Lowes vs Home Depot Vs Menards?

What I like about menards is, sooner or later whatever you want to buy is going to be on sale. They have a crazy days sale, when they sell special order windows for 17% off. I ordered 4 windows for the house, and 2 for the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Only two things missing from Menards.....Ammo and Alcohol
    Try buying a Dewalt power tool they don't carry them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Can you use those points to buy yourself a gift card? Then you get to buy one where you know you're going to shop. And the kid gets cash to shop wherever he wants.
    If where to shop is a concern, get a Visa/Mastercard gift card, seems like it'd be safer to mail than green paper. Around here at least, the number of mechants that don't take Visa/Mastercard can be counted on one hand (and probably have a few fingers left.)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If where to shop is a concern, get a Visa/Mastercard gift card, seems like it'd be safer to mail than green paper. ...
    Okay, mail a check. Gift cards only benefit the merchants, not the recipient.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Okay, mail a check. Gift cards only benefit the merchants, not the recipient.
    I don't see an issue as long as it is a place I normally shop at. Yes, cards can get lost, but so can cash or check. Now, I hate prepaid Visa cards because it is a pain to use up a little bit of remaining money.

The OP has credit card points he can use to buy gift cards which is why he wants to go that route.

Why is it a pain to use up the little remaining? You can use multiple forms of payment in a transaction; a gift card and a credit card, a gift card and cash, etc.

I don’t like prepaid visas because there’s a fee when you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Why is it a pain to use up the little remaining? You can use multiple forms of payment in a transaction; a gift card and a credit card, a gift card and cash, etc.

Some cards may be different but I have a pre paid credit card now from referring a friend to a business.
    To use it, you have to use it for the exact amount. $10 in this case. So you need to pay your bill first with another payment down to $10. Then use the gift card. Try doing that with a kid running a register that they cant run it anyway.
    No, you cant use it first.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If he is in western Wisconsin, go for Menards. They are based out of Eau Claire. Everyone in this neck of the woods shops there. Like the guy at the Orange store said when they didn't have what I needed in the plumbing department, "Try Menards. They have everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

I use self checkout a lot and I'm not sure if the machines can even charge only a certain amount to a credit card. It is an extra thing to deal with for a human cashier. It seems silly to ask a cashier to charge a card for 75 cents or whatever is left. Store gift cards are not a problem because they know exactly how much is remaining when the card is used.