Thread: Magnolia - it is worth turning?

Magnolia - it is worth turning?

Buddy in the path of Rita has offered up some magnolia. He's a carver but there is more wood than he can carve in a lifetime. So is it worth turning?

Yes it is!

One of my friend is looking for a place where they can sell magnolia, and ship it to Canada. Do you know a place for that ? Every place he found keep only 4/4 and I think he need something like 6/4 or 8/4. Not long piece but large one. If I remember, he wants it for turning chess pieces. With a 8/4, he will have enough room. Thanks !
    Last edited by Mario Brissette; 11-28-2005 at 12:45 AM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stinson
    Yes it is!
    I agree.
    Nice yellow wood.

Glenn Hodges has done some wonderful work with Magnolia...Here's one http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=magnolia
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

First rule of turning...EVERYTHING is worth turning. It's one of the beauties of the "sport"...you can work with things that folks wouldn't even consider using as firewood or mulch...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep, I knew this response would show up sooner or later. Too bad I converted my fireplace to gas....cause I also got rid of my firewood stack, too. Not that I really need a fireplace in Dallas anyhow.

YUP!!!!!! Get it....turn it.....nice stuff. So far, I haven't seen a wood that isn't worth turning, in my opinion......EXCEPT Oak.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    YUP!!!!!! Get it....turn it.....nice stuff. So far, I haven't seen a wood that isn't worth turning, in my opinion......EXCEPT Oak.
    I agree with you on the oak, Dennis! I hate that stuff and I don't think it's pretty even after it's turned! Unfortunately the majority of trees in our Easter Shore forrests are oak (next to pine, which I also hate).

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    I agree with you on the oak, Dennis! I hate that stuff and I don't think it's pretty even after it's turned! Unfortunately the majority of trees in our Easter Shore forrests are oak (next to pine, which I also hate).
    Ya know....If you tell Jim Ketron, I bet he'll cut all those nasty ol' oak and pine trees down for ya. Then you can be like Johnny Cherryseed or Johnny Mapleseed and repopulate the area.... You'll need to wear a kilt though.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

11. Well, Dennis gave me a chunk of Oak about a week ago and if it holds together and looks as good dry as it did green, then I may just change my opinion of Oak...

Turning magnolia

Glad to here from some that magnolia is ok to turn. I have a chance to get some, but I think I will let it lay around for a while to see if I ca get some spalting.
    BTW: attached (I hope I did it right) are some oak bowls that I have done...I think they look ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images