Thread: Spiral flush trim bit in shaper?

Spiral flush trim bit in shaper?

Hi everyone! I would like to use a spiral flush trim bit with a 2" cutting length for template routing. Can use this in a shaper equipped with a router collet running at 10k rpm? I know routers typically run faster, but I can't seem to find guidance on the right speed for bits like this.

Blog Entries
    Why not use a rebate head and bearing? It would play to the strength of the shaper rather than the weakness of it mimicking a router...

I think I'd like to go that route eventually, but some of the projects I have in mind would really benefit from the smaller diameter of a router bit.

Its a good question, and one ive considered for future scenarios. For example, a 3" diameter cutterhead is pretty small compared to most of my shaper tooling, but that wouldnt do a lot of the details found in G&G pieces. My Felder has a router spindle that will go up to 19-20k or whatever, but id prefer to not switch out spindles and belts to do a few templates.

A few things ive considered in a similar hypothetical situation is to do the bulk of the template shaping at the shaper, and then have a handheld router nearby to template a few of the details by hand. Similarly, you could have a router table nearby to finish off the tiny details and tight curves. Im interested in how others get around this problem though.

I sold my Jessem router table to help pay for the saw/shaper, but i can see myself adding a couple basic router tables in the future when/if i have more space. It was convenience to have a round over bit at the ready etc. With that said, i never enjoyed template routing at the the router table. Anything close to 1/8" was the limit in taking in one pass, and straight flute bits had a tendency to want to get grabby and kickback when they started slowing down due to load.

Should work fine just make sure you have good dust extraction and reduce feed rate a bit from what a router would use.
    PS: a router is probably 18,000-20,000 rpm unloaded.
    Bil lD

It will work just fine. Cut you waste close to the line prior to following the template
    The spiral bits are nice for tight curves on a shaper, but you really should get a shaper cutter designed for template work. Amana makes a nice one for smaller shapers.
    This is one I've been considering purchasing.
    https://www.amanatool.com/61292-inse...-1-4-bore.html
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a Byrd insert head for the shaper but as has been pointed out the shaper heads are too large for some pattern curves. When I have a pattern with some curves that are too small I tend to use both the router table and the shaper simply because the shaper is faster and leaves a better finish on the larger curves then move to the already setup router table for the small cuts. But the shaper at 10k will be fine for the larger pattern bits.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    It will work just fine. Cut you waste close to the line prior to following the template
    The spiral bits are nice for tight curves on a shaper, but you really should get a shaper cutter designed for template work. Amana makes a nice one for smaller shapers.
    This is one I've been considering purchasing.
    https://www.amanatool.com/61292-inse...-1-4-bore.html
    I have that one with the the bearing and love it. You can turn it upside down and run it backwards for tricky grain patterns. Leaves a beautiful finish also.

Marty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    I have that one with the the bearing and love it. You can turn it upside down and run it backwards for tricky grain patterns. Leaves a beautiful finish also.

Marty
    I think everyone on social media that owns a shaper has the amana head.
    IMG_20180703_193929_890.jpg