Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gimlet question- which ones to get?

Holdfast hole drill...?

beam augers 3.jpg
    Just sit and crank....

Blog Entries
    Or were you talking about both gimlets and auger bits?
    Star-M makes gimlets and hand augers.

Looking at only the first Google listing was my mistake in thinking there wasn't a 19mm auger. This time my search brought up a page with hex drive augers and a tee handle made to accommodate them:

https://www.fine-tools.com/bohr3.html

The hex chuck handle is at the bottom of the page.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Matt, I leave the recommendation to others as you mentioned thta you want a non-brace type. Mine are all for the brace ...

Now I rarely use a gimlet. My preference is a bitdcage awl to start small screws, or this Stanley hand drill for deeper holes ...

These use a range if fluted drill bits, which work well.

Since my experience with gimlets is minimal, I am wondering where the advantage or attraction lies?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Next time through an Antique Shop....rattle around in the bowls of "Kitchen" tools.....for some reason, they seem to think those Gimlets with the wooden T handles are 'Corkscrews" and run about...$1 each....have found a few like that. Have a #6 gimlet bit for a brace....prefer the push drills and eggbeater stuff...

Hey everyone,

Maybe it's because I'm a dentist?

I was just curious about it due to Luke's beautiful work.
    Personally, this is what I've used:
    1. Japanese awl for starting a hole.
    2. Power drill (usually)
    3. Eggbeater drill (for quiet drilling) on small holes.
    4. Yankee drill-- not used as much? I have two, but they don't feel as nice as the eggbeater.
    5. Bit/Brace-- for big holes, but I need to figure out where I put my bits. Much nicer than using a spade bit on a power drill.

Ironically, I've never really used gimlets before.

btw, I'm pretty sure the set sold on "The Best Things" is the same one as the Lee Valley ones.
    These are made in France, and I think $12? I think they're discontinuing selling these.

I'll probably save up for a 3/4" owl bit for my brace.

Blog Entries
    I am wondering where the advantage or attraction lies?
    Mine get used a lot for marking the center of a piece to be turned on the lathe. A gimlet makes a good tapered hole for the tail center.

When installing hinges the taper on the gimlet centers it in the hinge's screw holes.

When using screws, it can pre-thread the hole to make it easier to install screws.

They can also make rough holes quicker than the time it takes to grab an eggbeater and install a bit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)