Thread: GF Milk Paint Help...

GF Milk Paint Help...

I just painted a bedside table I've been working on, with General Finishes Milk Paint. I brushed it on, then wiped some off to expose the white stain underneath for the distressed look that wives love so much.
    The guy at Rockler told me that no top coat is necessary for this paint. So am I going to ruin the whole idea of distressing by protecting it with poly? Am I going to ruin the super flat finish of the milk paint and defeat the purpose of using milk paint?

Derek, the GF website also says no top coat necessary(probably what he was repeating), but goes on to recommend a couple of products for clear topcoats. I used GF milk paint on recent project (not going for distressed look) and used Minwax Polycrylic (a clear finish) for a topcoat. I believe it comes in a matte finish.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-02-2018 at 7:24 PM.

I just double-checked and this isn't real milk paint. (Woodcraft says, "... high-tech, water-based acrylic paint....") It's just tinted to match traditional colors. So you shouldn't have compatibility issues and I'd go with the standard "try a test piece".

With the wealth of knowledge here, someone who's already tried it is likely to be along soon.... Good luck.

ETA: I just skimmed my bookmarks and it seems real milk paint is often "sealed" with linseed oil and several writers have experimented with shellac successfully too. It seems like this is usually for appearance. But your version is already better "sealed", due to the acrylic binder, and how it's appearance is modified might be different for any topcoat.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 10-02-2018 at 6:05 PM. Reason: More info

If you like flat. General Finishes makes a Flat out Flat High performance Poly that is lower sheen than their milk paint. I love their products and these work well together.
    Gary

David is correct, GF "milk paint" isn't actually "milk paint". It's a colored acrylic. Theoretically, you can top coat it with an appropriate finish, but no way would I put an oil based "poly" over it. That will change the color. A water borne would be preferred in the sheen you prefer if you feel you need to add a clear finish to "protect" the piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...