Thread: Diamond stone sharpening systems

Diamond stone sharpening systems

I am interested in learning about sharpening chisels and plane blades using diamond stones. Is there a particular brand you find most useful? I know every woodworker has their own preferred method of sharpening. Today I am only interested in hearing about diamond stones. Thanks.

2. I only have experience with DMT and Atoma diamond plates. I highly prefer Atoma because they sharpen more consistently and faster and last longer as well. I almost always sharpen without a jig and rarely use a bench grinder. I do everything freehand.

Blog Entries
    I have DMT stones that are over 10 years old and going strong. Trend and EZLaps are long gone. If these ever wear out I’ll have to give the Atomas a try.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    DMT for me - when I switched years ago to the Paul Sellers method, it's worked well enough that I can't see ever going back (or forth) to anything else. 200, 800 & 8000.

Check out the blog on tools for working wood dot com. He has lots of great information. I use DMT, fine, extra fine, and then switch to an 8000 Norton to finish/microbevel. Works for me, with the Veritas Mk II jig. Good consistent results. I don’t grind, but prefer to us the DMT course plate to re-establish the primary bevel.

Ultra Sharp Diamond Sharpening Stone Set - 8 x 3-inch

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I am interested in learning about sharpening chisels and plane blades using diamond stones. Is there a particular brand you find most useful? I know every woodworker has their own preferred method of sharpening. Today I am only interested in hearing about diamond stones. Thanks.
    I purchased on the beginning this year my first diamond plates. After some researches I found "Ultra Sharp Diamond Sharpening Stone 3-Set sized at 8 x 3" is a very good option. I have used it for all woodworking tools as well some kitchen knifes. It almost fully replaced my previous technique using glass plate and sand paper - except for some uses with my also new Japanese stones.

Regards,