Thread: Grizzly G0490X Problem

Grizzly G0490X Problem

Today I took off the jointer guard of my Grizzly G0490X. I made a mistake by taking the bolt out of the top rather than the set screw from the bottom. The spring became loose and I'm totally confused on how to get this thing together with the spring tension as before. I've played with it for a couple hours and quite honestly feel pretty stupid. It's only a couple of parts and I just can't put it together with the spring tension as before. I get it back on but totally unable to adjust spring tension. HELP

Blog Entries
    I've never had mine apart but, here's my first guess. From the manual it looks like if you assemble it, then stick the vertical post into the receiver hole with the set screw backed out you can use a hex key in the top hole to wind the shaft counter clockwise. You should feel tension. Turn it till the flat returns to the set-screw position. Tighten the set screw and when you release the tension of the top hex key the chop should rotate clockwise into position.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks, I'm going to do just that this morning. Once again, with only 4-5 pieces, it makes one feel pretty dumb not to be able to do this. I've taken apart and put together motors, cars and such and now 4 pieces present a problem!!!!
    I'm sure it's not age but, then again, I couldn't find the medication I take to increase my memory either this morning.

No idea what that looks like. On my old Taiwan jointer you have to remove the fence and wind the guard around once or twice to tension the clock spring.
    Bill D

Thanks to all for your help.
    After thinking about it last night, (all night long) I finally realized the proper way to do it. The Grizzly setup is quite different than most others, at least those others I've seen.
    By the way, I spoke with someone at Grizzly yesterday afternoon. He was also confused as to how to mount the cutter guard. Both of us looked at the owner's manual and that also was totally ambiguous as to how to get it done. However, he did try to help and was on the phone with me about 45 minutes.

This morning the "light went on" and I got it done in a few minutes. Moral of the story is if you want the cutter guard off, just loosen the set screw on the bottom and lift it out. Don't do what I did and take the whole thing apart.

I have also had success in sleeping on my problems. Wake up in the morning having figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I have also had success in sleeping on my problems. Wake up in the morning having figured it out.
    It has worked well for me also.

Maybe to complete the thread you can write what you did for the next person that has trouble with 4 piece assemblies.

This sounds amazingly like what happened to me when I removed the cutter guard on my DJ 20 years ago. The exact details are now lost in memory, but I distinctly remember the "it's only two parts and I just took it off yesterday, how can it be so difficult?" feeling.
    David

The big jointer in high school used a cable with a pulley and sash weight to pull the guard. I think the guard may have been plywood or the original metal one.
    Bill D

i posted this in another thread and was redirected here. I have a dj 20 with the same problem. I have taken it completely apart and the best I can do is get partial tension in the spring. People talk about loosening the set screw to do this which is tightened against a flat on the shaft. I have 2 screws at the bottom of the shaft, one a set screw going through a collar but the shaft is round . Below that in the rabbiting ledge there is another screw which does tighten against a flat on the shaft but this is a screw with a knob on the end. One problem is when trying to rotate the guard after loosening the top cap screw without loosening the bottom screws is a rod in the bottom sleeve which hits the end of the opening in the guard above and prevents further tensioning. If I loosen these bottom screws and turn the top the guard rises off the bottom sleeve and the spring comes loose, meaning basically no tension. I am missing something here but at this point am not sure what. I have also tried just turning the cap screw but that doesn,t seem to do anything. Anybody have any ideas?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Carpentier View Post
    Thanks to all for your help.
    After thinking about it last night, (all night long) I finally realized the proper way to do it. The Grizzly setup is quite different than most others, at least those others I've seen.
    By the way, I spoke with someone at Grizzly yesterday afternoon. He was also confused as to how to mount the cutter guard. Both of us looked at the owner's manual and that also was totally ambiguous as to how to get it done. However, he did try to help and was on the phone with me about 45 minutes.

This morning the "light went on" and I got it done in a few minutes. Moral of the story is if you want the cutter guard off, just loosen the set screw on the bottom and lift it out. Don't do what I did and take the whole thing apart.
    Frank, please tell me what you did. I'm having the same issue. I saw your post and I was like, "finally, some help!" But then I get to this post and was so let down that you didn't share what you actually did to fix it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Koenigshof View Post
    Frank, please tell me what you did. I'm having the same issue. I saw your post and I was like, "finally, some help!" But then I get to this post and was so let down that you didn't share what you actually did to fix it!

Page 18 of my manual shows the parts and process for initial installation. I mention this as it is good for reference. Loosen the set screw that tightens against the flat of the shaft and remove the mechanism, chop and all. The stop/tension pin has probably slipped to a position somewhere in the middle of the range of movement or become loose in general.

Chop-Spring-Adjust (1).jpg

The pin should be at one extreme of the movement area, not like this:

Chop-Spring-Adjust (2).jpg

Hold the lower portion of the shaft and loosen the top cap. If your chop pin has slipped this may already be loose.

Chop-Spring-Adjust (3).jpg

Rotate the pin to the position shown.

Chop-Spring-Adjust (4).jpg

While holding the lower portion of the shaft to maintain that position, tighten the cap. Reinstall the chop mechanism with the FLAT part of the shaft facing the set screw. Missing this positioning is the most common chop failure. The cap coming loose generally comes from failing to check this along with all other bolts, connections and operating parts during routine maintenance. I go through my machines annually. Christmas helps me remember ;-)

If you go through this process and the chop still doesn't go under tension when moved away from the fence, there may be physical damage to a part.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-03-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

14. Glenn, you are phenomenal. Thank you!!