Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbide Planer Blades For WR Cedar?

never had issues with high speed steel and using it since the start honing it before every job every job they are sharp. Generally ran 300 or under feet at a time. Do have Esta insert knives that came with one machine but never tried them. Is it possible the cedar is left in an area where sand is in the wind and getting blown into it same as barn board. That stuff will trash your knives in no time.

I'd still like to know about the silica and silica 'streaks'.

I have 7 sets of the HSS knives but would like to try out the carbide. What's a good carbide grade and where can I get them?
    WoodsShop

Blog Entries
    Some WRC I resharpen my hand planes every 10 minutes, other stuff is just a breeze. I would expect carbide would be a good choice for it for planer knives.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

if so think you are likely better to step up to carbide insert. either you change a head or go with something like Esta that uses the existing head. Possible the newer carbide insert stuff is sharper than the old style carbide and for sure faster to change. Guys here who have used both will tell you.

What is the carbide insert Warren, got a link I could look at? I have a 15" Grizzly if that matters.
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 10-02-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    WoodsShop

a number of the guys here have either after market heads spiral or straight insert or some have machines that came either of those styles of heads. The Esta and should look before I tell you as my memory is not great are also reversable insert cutters but they work on a stock head with a knife holder that is pre set much like the hand power planer knives where there is a knife holder once set up they go in the same setting each time. ILl try and look at the Esta in the next day or two but you could look them up

My head has three straight blades with no adjustment screws.
    WoodsShop

I guess this is the latest system ones i have are supported a different way

Esta.JPG

site wont let me see my post so a new one. looking at the price list I dont see carbide listed and thought that is what came with one machine maybe not.

Esta 2.JPG

they have M2 and in the Cobalt M42 there is not carbide they said as its too thin to make in insert. The new style knife holder works on most heads and they are phasing out the old system but still have some left. Initial cost is whatever it is for the holder and knives then after that replacement knife cost. Id imagine set up is fast but not fast like the Terminus type which from what ive seen is the fastest. I was told with spiral if you chip a cutter and rotate only one then that one will sit higher than the others that have time on them if that is accurate im not sure but was told that.

I think for the carbide inserts you need to replace the cutterhead. You can get carbide-tipped straight knives to fit ordinary planer heads at Holbren dot com. I have no experience with them.

need some guys that have run the carbide knives then also run the insert stuff but thought I read the insert is sharper than they can get the conventional style carbide knives.

Last WRC job I did the planer had a carbide insert head and the thicknesser carbide tipped straight knives. Inserts lasted about 30% longer than brazed tips. This was at my shop in South Australia.

The difference is the durability of the carbide. Inserts don't have to survive brazing so are harder material.

Durability is different to sharpness. Both grades are equally sharp when new/freshly ground. Inserts retain that sharp edge longer as they are higher grade material.

Honing HSS every time it is used is neither desirable nor economic. Each touch up changes the angle of the cutting edge and reduces its efficiency. Time is lost doing the honing adding to the inefficiency. You have to recalibrate machinery you account for the change in cutter length. All these things were acceptable when there was no alternative but that is no longer the case.
    Cheers

Blog Entries
    I've never worried about the little nicks that inevitably show up on jointer & planer knives. The surface off a jointer or planer is not finish ready anyway & the ridges left by the nicks sand away very quickly.