Thread: Jointer outfeed table will not lower

Jointer outfeed table will not lower

Help! I cannot lower the outfeed table on my jointer. I've done it in the past no problem. I don't see any obstructions or foreign objects jamming up the works, I'm stumped.

The infeed table will lower freely, the outfeed table doesn't budge at all.

It's a 1980s Italian parallelogram jointer made by Ema. It may have been put together in Canada. I don't think there are that many out there, and I don't have and can't find a manual.

What do you think is the issue?

thanks, Mark Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 11.51.47 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 11.53.20 AM.jpg

Does the handwheel move but without effect? If so check the connection of the handwheel to its shaft, perhaps a grub screw is loose.

If the handwheel won't budge, try lubing the linkage- if things are really locked up try penetrating products like PB Blaster, KRoil or acetone/atf mix.

Are there any locking screws that you might have overlooked?

have the same machine in Griggio but not adjusted it yet. On the SCM stuff if it doesnt go down I pull on the end of the table away from the machine and that always works then just turn it back up.

If stuff is backed off, then are there grub screws or some other locking thing other than the outside screws. Sorry I havent done one of those, have you pulled on the end of the table away from the machine? Gravity is usually our friend, rust never sleeps.

Blog Entries
    Based on photo number one everything under the table is pretty dry and rusty. It looks like it is time for some lubrication.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks guys, I'll lube everything up tomorrow and check for any overlooked looking nuts.

Sprayed WD40 on anything that should move under the out-feed table, and it now work like a charm.

Thanks guys, Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Sprayed WD40 on anything that should move under the out-feed table, and it now work like a charm.

Thanks guys, Mark
    I know lots of folks use WD-40 and swear by it, but bear in mind that WD-40 will dry out relatively quickly......A light machine oil or grease would be better and longer lasting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, is 3-in-1 oil appropriate?

I like the "never seize" stuff . One aplication lasts for years. But it's one of those "gloves are reccomended "jobs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Lee, is 3-in-1 oil appropriate?
    That should work just fine.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!