Thread: Grace Saw Screwdriver

Grace Saw Screwdriver

Hi Folks,

Have been using the Grace Saw Screwdriver from Lee Valley for a few months now, I use it not only on saws, but tend to reach for it when making adjustments on planes and tightening my Eclipse sharpening jig. Last night when sharpening up a iron the tip of the drive snapped off(just the parallel portion). Has anyone else had this issue with the Grace style drivers? My initial thought was that the saw driver was softer for the brass screws, but the LV site indicates that both are Rc60-64 hardness. Should I be regrinding a new tip or seeking a replacement?

Blog Entries
    Without an image it is a difficult question to answer.

Can you post an image?

Another thought is with a tool designed for a specific job, it is good practice to not use it for other tasks just because it is convenient.

Usage wears most tools to some extent. Using a tool for something it wasn't intended to do can often damage the tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Without an image it is a difficult question to answer.

Can you post an image?

Another thought is with a tool designed for a specific job, it is good practice to not use it for other tasks just because it is convenient.

Usage wears most tools to some extent. Using a tool for something it wasn't intended to do can often damage the tool.

jtk
    It has been my understanding that the features that differentiate the saw screwdriver from others is the "fit and finish" aspects to make sure of a good fit and a good grip in the slot of a screw to make sure no damage in use to either screw or saw handle.

I can't think of any good reason a saw screwdriver would be made purposely weaker than other screwdrivers in the product lineup. But I could be wrong about that. I'm wrong about a great many things without even trying.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries

I've had this problem happen to me several times with the Grace screwdrivers. I snapped off the tip on the smallest screwdriver twice. I have the saw nut one too but only use it for saws and so far so good.

I've never liked the step transition in a screwdriver bit --- creates a stress point which one doesn't get in a traditional hollow grind --- for some reason insert bits are usually hollow ground, which is why I've pretty much switched over to them.

I've been considering getting the "Grace USA Gunsmith 24 Bit Magnetic Tip Screwdriver Set" (channeled my father in an impulse buy when I saw a Wheeler Engineering 89-piece set on clearance for $50.28 and have been regretting it, although one of the bits in it was just the size I was wanting for 1/4"-20 nylon machine screws) and keep telling myself I'm going to get a Chapman Master Set (used them when I was in the Air Force and remember them as being quite nice).

That said, I'm sure Lee Valley and Grace will make it right --- most likely it was a flaw in the steel which just happened to line up with things so as to allow it to break.

Blog Entries
    I can't think of any good reason a saw screwdriver would be made purposely weaker than other screwdrivers in the product lineup. But I could be wrong about that. I'm wrong about a great many things without even trying.
    The weakness isn't purposely designed in. Part of the problem is, as William pointed out, a step created in making a thin parallel blade to fit into saw nuts creates a stress point. The parallel blade is weaker than a standard tapered blade, hence my suggestion it only be used on saw screws for which it was designed. It is also as the write up says a hardened tip which is more brittle than the softer tips on most screwdrivers.

In my early days as a bicycle mechanic my kit included some very nice cone wrenches. They are thin wrenches used for adjusting the wheel bearings on bicycles. They would fit bolts on an automobile. Of course they were not made to use on heavier nuts and bolts. They would suffer over time by using them for something which they were not designed to do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not sure why anyone would spend the $$ for one of these. Back when I started making saws in 1996, I bought a stubby screwdriver at a tool meet (the kind Clay used to make) with a wide blade. I hollow ground the blade to the proper thickness and I have been using it without incident for 22 years. A trip to home depot should yield many examples that would provide good starter stock for less than $10. If the blade it too long, just cut if off and turn your own handle. A thought for those who mess around with saws a lot.

9. My experience with Grace customer service was excellent. They fixed the issue no questions asked. I bet you reach out and they ship you a new one.

I’m just a lurker on this forum but thought I’d chime in here. I had the same problem with the tip breaking. Spoke to their customer service and they said the wide handle allowed you to put more torque on the tip than it can handle. They offered to replace the screwdriver if I paid shipping. Living in Canada made that ineffective as I could buy a new one from my local LV for the same price and have it tomorrow.