Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

1 Oct 2018

Greetings,
    Wow! It's been a really hard week at the day job! In a time span of 3 days, I got about 8 hours sleep due to oncall duties at the day job. The good news is that I came off of oncall duty this morning and I actually got to sleep all night last night. I feel better today but I'm still very tired. It's raining here today and I have some "inside" duties to get done around the house. The LOML and I are still working on getting out of debt and today, we pay off debt #3. If all goes well, we'll pay of debt #4 by the end of November of this year. It's almost time for me to start doing some woodworking in the shop again. I'm taking time "when I can get it" to clean up a bit in the shop to make room for the coming projects over the fall/winter/spring. I'm getting excited about woodworking again and looking forward to it!

That's it for me, sorry this is late but I'm sure you understand. So what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi, I hosted a sliding saw and shaper seminar on Saturday, on Sunday Diann, my friend Steve and I went to the Woodstock wood show.............regards, Rod.

Been an overtime summer so just now getting back to the shop til the snow flies. But a busy three day weekend.
    Cleared the Day Lilies - trimming back the Spirea is next
    41730.jpg
    Laid up most of the Hardiebacker on the fireplace wall for the stone facing
    IMG_20180929_145221919.jpg
    Fixed straightened painted the Mailbox
    41728.jpg
    Went out to Armstrong Millworks in Highland and bought a mantle beam
    IMG_20180929_153410908.jpg
    AND... Finished up an outfeed/sanding center cart. Still need to install the handles. I bought a lot of 10 from China and the screws were too short. I figure I'd just get longer 6-32s (anyone predict where this is heading??). Turns out that the screws are metric 3.5 -.35 x 25mm I need 35 or 40 mm long screws... so the hunt begins. The Drawer faces are some kind of Ecuadoran 3-ply plywood with a kind of "mahogany" ish veneer over a core of glued up chunks. I was going to use it for shelving but it's too weak so it;s been laying around for ever. This is a great application for it, looks good, no stress and it clears some space too.
    IMG_20180929_095745436.jpg

It was a busy week for me...the usual lawn care and food shopping certainly involved and there was a bit of weeding, too. I spent a lot of time in the shop finalizing some CNC subcontract work prototypes and started cutting the "real" pieces this weekend. A memorial sign got cut and I started the painting on that, too. Friday, Fred Voorhees and I went to the Hearne Hardwoods open house and enjoyed "the candy store", including a great demonstration of their huge bandsaw that is used to cut/slab large logs. They were slicing off 3" thick slabs from a giant walnut log with an actual cut time of about 36 seconds and about a minute and a half cycle time. Very impressive. And, of course, we both brought home some wood. My other activity was replacing the insect damaged wood trim around our kitchen door with PVC, painting it and re-installing the storm door...'just finished that up before lunch today.

All fixed...and there will be no chomping by any bugs now.

IMG_2573.jpg

Oh, and today literally marks exactly one year since I retired from full time work...and I've been busier than ever. LOL
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-01-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Oh, and today literally marks exactly one year since I retired from full time work...and I've been busier than ever. LOL
    Congratulations on your anniversary !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    Congratulations on your anniversary !!!
    Ditto, and I hope you have many more anniversaries to come. It'll be 8 years this December for me, seems like yesterday.

I also did some CNC work and yard work. It's finally cooling down enough that working in the shop is enjoyable again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I was able to get a sub-panel installed in my garage/shop so I will no longer blow the breakers in the house. This is something I have wanted to do for some time. I used to have a Jacuzzi in the back yard that was wired to a 50 Amp breaker in the main. I moved the wires from the back (via a crawl space and attic) to the front of the house and into the garage. My goal is to purchase a lathe which runs on 220 so now I will have the ability to wire for that as well. I am a happy camper.

I had a long weekend - was off Friday too - but still didn't get a lot done. I drove an hour and a half each way to get some thicker longer oak than I had on hand to use in a bed. I got the 8/4 planned in my little 10 inch wide Ryobi AP-10 planner (worked fine) and the legs roughed to size. I still need to cut the rest of the frame for the head and foot board from the rest of the 8/4 oak. My old BT3100 struggled a bit ripping the 1 3/4 thick oak. I cleaned the thin kerf Freud ripping blade first but I noticed I must have hit some nails because several of the teeth are chipped. I think I will clean my thick kerf ripping blade and try it for the rest of the rips. It might do better with the thin kerf damaged. If I had worked harder on it Saturday I could have finished the frame but I had to do laundry and clean the house too. I visited my Son and his wife after church on Sunday and got home late. So not a lot of progress but now that the wood is here, I should do better. There is also no hard deadline on the bed but it would be nice to have done by Christmas. Before then the one guest bed will probably be enough. I need to get a little time on the lake before then too .

Went over to Springfield yesterday and replaced the Grizzly G1023RL table saw I sold at auction four years ago. I moved from my farm in Missouri and sold everything as I thought I was done with woodworking. Started woodworking again a couple of years ago and missed my table saw more than any thing else. So today I'll get it set up and pass the Ridgid granite top saw I've been using on to a friend. Always nice to make two people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I hosted a sliding saw and shaper seminar on Saturday, on Sunday Diann, my friend Steve and I went to the Woodstock wood show.............regards, Rod.
    Hi Rod, can I ask what you covered during the seminar? Do you plan to do more in the future? I'm always interested to check out events of this nature this side of the border...

Well, after a week of not really doing much physical, I kind of made up for it this last weekend.

Saturday, I had my usual junior bowling coaching gig. Then, I helped a friend reside his garage. That lasted until about 7:00. He took us out for some supper and beers afterwards. Actually made it home early.

Sunday I got started on making a prototype of a project for Christmas presents for a couple of people. Just want to make sure my ideas will work. And get some of the measurements and proportions right.

And since my fiancée is still in MN for a few weeks, I did the usual laundry, cooking, and housekeeping duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Tonin View Post
    Hi Rod, can I ask what you covered during the seminar? Do you plan to do more in the future? I'm always interested to check out events of this nature this side of the border...
    Hello Alex, I covered basic design, uses, safety, cutters and feed rates and accessories.

It's actually a 4 part series starting with band saw and jointer/planer on the first day. During this time participants learn about band saws, applications, safety etc. They then break down rough timber into pieces and I demonstrate log sawing using a carriage. After lunch we do the J/P, same course content then participants joint and plane to dimension the pieces they will need for the shaper and sliding saw seminar.

At the following event a couple of months later we do the sliding saw, I demonstrate operations that users wouldn't be familiar with such as straight line ripping, safety, different guard and fence uses and then they crosscut and dado their work pieces.

After lunch we do the shaper, participants get to use it to make a handle profile using a stock feeder and then they pattern copy to make a pair of corbels.

When they go home and glue up their 2 push blocks (one for saw and jointer, one optimized for shaper) they send me a photo of their completed projects.

I also have the participants sign the display model, which Felder keeps as a souvenir of the seminar series.

Seminars are free, lunch is provided by Felder and the material is not Felder specific and there is absolutely no sales related content.......If you send me a PM with your email address I'll add you to the notification list for the 2019 events...Rod.