Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I build or buy 10x14 shed for hobby woodworking(concrete vs wood flooring)

Quote Originally Posted by tom coleman View Post
    I am leaning towards building my own on a concrete slab probably with a sloped flat roof.
    Just FYI - you'll (legally) need a permit whether you build or purchase something pre-made. A concrete slab foundation will change the type of structure from "temporary' to "permenant" which would likely require an inspection. Municipalities also have size limits on what constitutes a temporary out building, usually around 120sq ft but this can vary a bit. Might check with your local building inspector if this matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Just FYI - you'll (legally) need a permit whether you build or purchase something pre-made. A concrete slab foundation will change the type of structure from "temporary' to "permenant" which would likely require an inspection. Municipalities also have size limits on what constitutes a temporary out building, usually around 120sq ft but this can vary a bit. Might check with your local building inspector if this matters to you.
    Where I live you do not need a permit if the building is on skids and movable as it is not a permanent building.

In my town 120 square feet and under no permit needed unless you have any utilities to the building. This means I built mine on the property line with no setback from the alley.
    This was 15 years ago and now the permit department web site is new and improved with no information. To find out what is or is not allowed you have to call and wait for them to pick up the phone.
    Bill D.
    Modesto ca

The need for a permit varies with city’s or states and Counties,
    I built a poll barn with a concrete floor and put in my wood shop the back half had a gravel floor for the farm equipment.
    I built another building for commercial rental on the same property I had 440 3 phase pulled in and had an inspector out to sign it off, he saw the poll barn and wanted to look at because he wanted build one for himself.
    He looked it over and liked what he saw and added the county does not care about agriculture buildings and we do not require
    permits or inspections for Ag. And since you have a tractor in the back it is an Ag building. I asked how big a tractor does it have to be. He laughed and said a lawn tractor would meet the qualifications.
    That building was in Northern VA.