Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I build or buy 10x14 shed for hobby woodworking(concrete vs wood flooring)

Should I build or buy 10x14 shed for hobby woodworking(concrete vs wood flooring)

I am debating with myself.......should I buy a 10x14 shed for $3800........or build my own. Hobby woodworking in Virginia.......moderate winters. I am leaning towards building my own on a concrete slab probably with a sloped flat roof. I am 76 and don't want to mess w trusses. Saw a very good 6 part video on u-tube re building a flat roofed shed. Haven't costed it out yet but should come in under $3000. Interested in comments from those who have been there and done that

Blog Entries
    Building your own shed is just a big woodworking project. Go for it. You will have a sense of accomplishment knowing you made it and didn't just have someone deliver it. Either way, have someone prep and pour the slab. Don't forget a building permit if required in your area.
    NOW you tell me...

If you feel comfortable being up on the ladder and roof, build it. But a fall at 76 sounds like a bad idea, so think about it Sir. If you decide to build it, please post some pics too! We love workshop builds.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-01-2018 at 7:58 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I am not 76, but went through the same process as you.

I built my own (a little bigger 16 x 24) with a concrete foundation--fully insulated, electrical and HVAC for slightly more than what a "pre built" shed/garage of the same size with a wood floor would have cost. One of the best decisions I made.

Now it did take me 3 months of week-ends and some half days to built it by myself.

Either way is valid and the comments so far are spot on. Building your own can bring some nice satisfaction and it certainly can be exactly how you want it. But please consider the work involved including the "up on a ladder" aspect relative to your own health and physical capabilities. I'm only "going on 62" but have started to avoid a lot of high ladder stuff just because I'm not feeling the love with that kind of work. A shed/shop project isn't necessarily up real high, but as someone mentioned, falls can be more risky as we mature...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built this one when I was 65 almost single handed. I had help pouring the concrete, standing up the four walls and setting the trusses. Also a neighbor felt sorry for me when I was sheathing the roof and pushed four sheets one at a time of 5/8 CDX ply up on the edge of the scaffold for me to grab. 12 X 16 and no A/C but water and electric. This building was to get a lot of the clutter out of my garage shop. That worked for a while, but now I have clutter in both places.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is more a time issue than anything else. Do you want to build the shed or get into woodworking projects. I just rebuilt the well house. Only 7x12, but working alone I am amazed at how long it took me to finish it. It was fun and I did enjoy it. Can you find a shed that has the doors/windows where you want them

I see the wrong kind of vents on the ones for sale. They cut a hole in the siding then nail a vent over the hole. apply caulk and hope it does not leak for a few years. You have to rip out and recaulk forever. I used they kind that go on with the tarpaper house wrap then the siding goes on top. They relay on gravity to keep the rain out. Gravity does not fail every few years .
    A barn roof is easy to make each rafter bay on the ground and it adds about 3/4 of a second story for light storage. You could hire a highschool kid to nail the trusses up there and do the roof stuff. I nailed on the huricane clips to the top plate then invited my brother to help me do the roof.
    Only thing is I wish I had added screen to the top plate between the rafters for the vents. I got rats in that way. Much harder to nail it on after the roof sheathing is on.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-02-2018 at 9:46 AM.

Lots of the high schools here build sheds and garages as part of their grade 11/12 shop classes. They are auctioned off or sold at a fixed price to help fund future shop projects. Maybe your area does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Lots of the high schools here build sheds and garages as part of their grade 11/12 shop classes. They are auctioned off or sold at a fixed price to help fund future shop projects. Maybe your area does the same.
    This is refreshing to hear Peter. Stateside, there are fewer and fewer schools that offer shop classes. Sigh.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Do you have to take out a permit and get all the inspections where you live. Here a perbuilt one is just placed on your lot and it is ready to go.

76? - Call the Amish. Some 16 year old will build you a dream 10X14.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If I was only going to save $800 I would probably save my back and just do the electrics and insulation.

And I'm only 62 BTW.

The main reason for me to build my own would be to increase the size. It doesn't cost much and the work is almost the same. 10x14 will be cramped from day one. A few feet can make a huge difference in efficiency. Dave

The size and construction of what you build will depend largely on what you plan to use the shop for. Mostly using hand tools or carving could be much different than if you planned to bring in a heavy bandsaw or something.

I built my shop myself for several reasons - to get the size and shape I wanted and to save a lot of money. In my case I had plenty of room here at the farm, all the tools I needed including grading equipment, and experience in putting up several other buildings. To me, building it was a no brainer but if I didn't have grading,construction, and wiring experience or all the tools I might have done it differently.

I joke that I built it with my bare hands but I lie - I used tools! I do recommend hiring out a couple of things:

I very much wanted concrete floors for load strength, building stability, and for a longer life. (And for varmint control!). I prepared footers, form, and rebar and hired a crew to pour and surface. My shop is larger, 24x62', but I still hired the crew when putting up a smaller 12x24' farm building - they have so much experience and bring enough people to do a top notch job very quickly, jobs that would have killed me doing it by myself!

I also hired a friend who brought a crane to set the trusses in the shop, again because they could do it quicker, better, and more safely than I could have working by myself. Another no-brainer.

I did everything else myself. It was slow going but it's done exactly the way I want it.

You can put up a stick building on concrete quickly. I prefer to anchor posts in the ground and support the trusses/rafters with beams so the walls are not load-bearing, but standard stud walls are fine. I used 2x6 walls on the shop for better insulation since I installed heat and air. I also ran underground power.

BTW, even in Virginia you might consider one of those through-the-wall/window heater/air conditioners. Putting heat and air in the shop was the best thing I did - makes it useful on a whim year around.

BTW2, if you decide in a pre-built portable building with a wood floor you might shop around and look for used buildings as well. I bought an Amish-built 12x16 for less than 2000 (metal roof and siding) and found a used 10x20 with wood panel siding for $1000 plus $300 to haul it about 40 miles. As a bonus the guy had insulated and put in a ceiling! (I'm using it for my beekeeping stuff.)

JKJ