Thread: Bench top jointer question-- can I just stick it in a workbench top?

Bench top jointer question-- can I just stick it in a workbench top?

Hey creekers,

I used to be staunchly neanderthal, but recently realized that I really need a jointer. I have a stack of rock maple to make stuff with, and not a lot of free time.

1. Can I get away with a bench top jointer?
    I don't have a ton of space. Also, moving one second hand will be really hard. I was thinking of a cuttech jointer.

2. Why not just inlet it into a bigger platform like a workbench top, for fully supported extensions?

3. If I get a used (non benchtop), and recommendations?

I'm just a hobbiest.
    However, I don't mind spending a little more if I don't lose my fingers.

Budget is $500.

I have the Cutech 6" jointer with carbide cutters and am happy with it.

Pros: Lightweight and easily moved around. As delivered, I haven't needed to adjust the tables at all. The cutterhead leaves a beautiful surface, although it's not a true helix head, so figured grain will cause some tearout. Surpringly excellent dust collection.

Cons: Lightweight, no cast iron involved. Loud as hell. Short tables and fence. For edge jointing, you'll need to check fence squareness often.

It works well for me because I'm space challenged and my projects tend to be small. As for your idea of mounting into a benchtop, I suppose it could be done but I think you'd be hard pressed to get things adjusted so that the surrounding benchtop worked well as table extensions. Mine lives on a shelf under one of my benches, easily moved to wherever it's needed.

Blog Entries
    If you want to joint 1x4 lumber of not much length, it should work.

If you want to joint 2x6 and larger with length, I would go for a real jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If you want to joint 1x4 lumber of not much length, it should work.

If you want to joint 2x6 and larger with length, I would go for a real jointer.
    Length is the limiting factor, not thickness.

Blog Entries
    The tables adjust; your inset would have to accommodate this on the infeed side. . . or not. The Cuttech appears to be the Porter Cable which is the Delta loved and hated for many years. It will certainly get anything 6" or less in width close enough to start handwork on I would think. It would be a work-saver which is all any jointer is supposed to be . . . some save more work than others ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-02-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes, the tables do adjust, and although I've never moved mine they look like the adjustment would be easy (well covered in the manual).

My concern would only be that getting the infeed and outfeed tables adjusted properly to the cutter head might prove complicated if you threw in the added variable of the surrounding benchtop. That said, I'm not experienced at that sort of thing.

I have the 8" cutech and the finish is spectacular. My extensions make it longer than my old delta 6" cast iron regular jointer. I', a 71 yr old woman and can easily pick it up and move it. The cutech was so good, I recently bought their planer too..sooo much quieter than a DewALT 735!!! tHE FINISH SPECTACULAR ON THE PLANER TOO.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

If you are working with really short pieces, it should be fine. Anything over a couple feet is impossible. Sure, if you can get infeed and outfeed tables precisely colinear it will be fine. Good luck with that...

Moving a real 6" jointer isn't that hard.

I had the Ridgid 6" for several years and it was great.

If you get a benchtop jointer, it will become a pain getting it out of the way, unless you put it on wheels, in which case you'll have only marginally less foot print than a floor standing jointer. I agree that the longer tables are a good thing.

"just a hobbyist". I am too. But I think you will appreciate having a proper jointer. I know I did.

Thanks Prashun,

I may get a real jointer.

While most of my stuff will probably be small: guitar necks, I would like to build a proper workbench out of maple some day.

Or a desk. Or something.

11. Looks like this thread has been around for a while. I'd like to mount my 10" Wahuda jointer in a benchtop to be able to manage longer material better.

Has anyone actually done this? I'd like to see how you got past the varying table height issue.

Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to set up infeed and outfeed becnch heights but it looks like you would have to peg the cut depth permanently at maybe 1/32" for it to work out.