Thread: Jet 15” planer problem

Jet 15” planer problem

I picked up a used Jet jwp-15cs planer and I’m having problems with my lumber getting stuck on the outfeed roller. It seems like the gear side doesn’t have the up and down movement as the belt side. Has anyone had this problem? Or maybe an idea on how to fix it? It’s not a spring tension issue. I looked at it without the spring. Works great as long as I stay to the belt side

I spent all day adjusting everything according to the manual specs.

Did you wax the table? This solves a majority of the stuck problems.

So you’ve adjusted the cutterhead height to bed, and the chipbreaker? Also lower the bed rollers which only cause problems like snipe. And wax the table as Bill said. Odd that it works on one side only.

What do you mean by the gear and belt side up and down movement?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What do you mean by the gear and belt side up and down movement?
    I was stuck here too but, I think the light just came on. By gear side you mean the side with the transmission (right side of my machine) and by belt side you mean the motor and drive pulley side (left side of my machine).

If you have aligned your feed rollers, cutterhead and other internals to the beds and they are all parallel to the beds and at a generally appropriate height, I would look to your bed surfaces. If all the feeding and cutting mechanism is correct and you still have feed errors, waxing the bed is the cure 90% of the time.

If the "sides" of the machine are not moving smoothly with all four corners elevating and descending together, we can look at other causes. The head is moved by four lead screws that are synchronized via a chain and sprocket mechanism in the base. Do Not fool with this unless you have eliminated all other possibilities. Getting this foursome out of sync can burn up a weekend trying to recover.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-01-2018 at 8:27 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I do not know that planer but the outfeed roller and chip breaker/ tension bar should not need much travel at all. Not like the infeed rollers do. If it is going up very much at all it is too low. Spring tension for downforce should be adjustable and springs weaken over time. Does it cut equal thickness on both sides?
    First step is wax the tables and remove bedrollers to clean any gunk under them or there bearings.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-01-2018 at 1:27 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Im not sure what the problem is. I’m getting under 1/8th inch of movement on the gear side. I’m going to see if I can find the manual online and find out some more info on it.

Blog Entries
    Except for a few details that machine is probably very similar to the Grizzly G0453. Manual here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Try cleaning the lower rollers. A little sap or finish on the roller will put you out of business. Good luck,