Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinding Wheel for Thin Plane Irons?

I bought the radius edged CBN wheel several years ago, and don't remember using the edges. Derek had trouble with one, and went to square edged wheels. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten square wheels, even though I have not had any trouble with the one I have for several years. I can't dry grind in the houses I work on, so I'm going back to a wet grinder as soon as I see some first hand reviews on the Tormek diamond wheels. I'll walk outside to use the CBN wheel before I'll go back to friable grinding wheels though.

I don't understand why using the grinder for correcting screwed up edges doesn't put a hollow grind on the edge in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I don't understand why using the grinder for correcting screwed up edges doesn't put a hollow grind on the edge in the process.
    It would, but I've been using flat stones on my tool steel.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

A big part of the advantage of thin irons is that they hone quickly with minimal grinding needed. Just develop the muscle memory to freehand hone at an angle within the range of usefulness for your plane. Exact angles aren't necessary.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps if you have access to a CAD program (there are a free ones out there) you can quickly draw it out and prove to yourself it is fine.
    If you are not into CAD, a compass and a ruler can do the same thing.

I was planning to use the grinder for correcting screwed up irons and chisels (i.e. virtually every one I buy) and then putting a hollow grind on them.
    A hollow grind is nice, but it isn't the end of the world not having one. Especially if you are stocking up your shop buying a lot of tools in the wild. In my sharpening a hollow grind isn't any less work than a flat bevel. It is easier to register the bevel with a hollow grind. A hollow grind kind of makes the blade 'click' into place on a stone.

What makes freehand easy for some is a secondary bevel.

My electric sharpening is done with a Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpening System. One of the reasons it was chosen is for being a flat disk which comes in handy working the backs of blades.

There has been one for sale for a while in the Classified section. It may have drifted down a couple of pages.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)