Thread: What kind of switch to use?

What kind of switch to use?

I have a light switch that is inaccessible, it is behind a door. It switches the top of 3 outlets for lamps. I want to replace it with a wireless receiver and put the transmitter in a convenient spot. Ideally the transmitter will look like a normal light switch but require no wiring. I don't mind cutting in a new box but don't want to run any wires. What device will do this?

You just need to replace the wall switch with one that is compatible with whatever the current standard is for "home control". (I haven't bought one in awhile so, I'm not sure what's the current generation) Most systems support a remote wireless switch that's battery powered. I use one in our pantry to have a second light switch at the opposite end where there is a second door and no wiring is possible without being in unsightly surfaced mounted raceway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been using one of these for 5 years and it works great. I am sure I didn't pay $40.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/SkyLink-...-204177975-_-N

Blog Entries
    Lutron makes one. You replace the switch with one with a receiver in it & the wireless switch goes on the wall wherever you want it. You don't even need to cut in a box; it just screws to the wall. I looks similar to a regular switch. The battery last for years.

Thanks, that will work.