Thread: Drying Lumber Neander Deck Question, & Panhandle Life

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drying Lumber Neander Deck Question, & Panhandle Life

I am working on our deck, replacing decking lumber, using 5/4 treated SYP, and some of was is sopping wet yesterday although the stamp says "KD." The standards for kiln dried lumber sure don't mean much. I had no choice, either buy it or go without. The actual thickness is 1", thickness doesn't mean much either.

To minimize splitting I doped the ends with poly U based spar varnish. I cut them to fit, yesterday then at the end of the day doped them, the ends seemed dry enough that the poly U penetrated into the end grain. There was a heavy dew last night, but just now the lumber feels dry. It was a sunny warm very dry windy day today. I think the lumber will be dry enough to paint in a couple of weeks, maybe a month, despite the rule of thumb, 1 year of drying time per inch of thickness....

What do you think, is a couple of weeks or a month long enough in our dry warm windy area? I treated a couple of cuts offs, and may take them to work and run a moisture in 2 weeks, then 4 weeks.

With regards to Neander, I am using just hand saws, no power except for a drill to put in screws. I can't imagine using my circular saw, the sharp handsaw is too handy, and is easier to cut dead on the line with.

With regards to life in the Texas panhandle, I saw a tarantula in the neighbors yard a few days ago, with legs maybe 4 or 5 inches in diameter, body maybe 2" long and 1/2" diameter. The males migrate this time of year looking for females, I watched him for a minute or so and didn't bother him. About two weeks ago I killed a scorpion in the bathroom sink, and on Thursday a driver ran over a 41" western diamondback about 2' from our curb. (It's skin is now on a couple of planks on our porch on my Sunday go to meeting saw horses. I am going to start curing it this evening, I fleshed it just a bit ago, and hopefully it will turn out to be a hat band.

The critters are not every day events, in fact pretty rare. We have only had 4 rattlers killed in our yard or within a couple of feet of our yard in 28 years. The other critters are about that rare too. My wife did kill a pretty good sized centipede in the kitchen sink this year too, the body about as big around as a pencil. She ran hot water till it expired. We live right on the edge of town, next to a vacant lot, catty corner from a pasture. Still, it happens once in a while that you have unwelcome guest critters, I have caught a few coach whip snakes in our yard and the neighbors too. I take them to the pasture to let them go.....nasty critters, coach whip snakes.

Any advise on the drying will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-30-2018 at 9:14 PM.