Thread: Problem spraying enduro-var on vertical surface

Problem spraying enduro-var on vertical surface

I am trying to finish a chest with enduro-var. The top and trim sprayed beautifully. When I try to spray the vertical sides I get huge runs. I tried turning the fluid down to one turn from 1 and 3/4 turns and still get runs. I am using a fuji mini-mite 5 with a gravity gun and 1.3 needle. I also tried turning the air down a little, all to no avail. I am spraying the vertical from bottom to top using Jeff Jewitts method. Any help would be appreciated.

If you are getting runs then you are spraying too heavy a coat. I know that's obvious, but there's no other way to say it. Your set up sounds OK; if so, that means you aren't moving the gun fast enough over the work. Speed up your pace. Put a bright light at a raking angle so you can see the wet line. Pace your speed so that the coat looks just a little shy of full coverage. It will flow out in a couple of minutes to give you 100% coverage. If you are still having trouble try adding 3 or 4% of GF's Extender. Then spray an even thinner coat.

John

Thanks John. I will try speeding up.

High John, Just tried speeding up my technique. I got no runs or drips. The finish did have a light pimply feel to it. Maybe I should open the fluid delivery more? Will sand and try another coat tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mike

I'm wondering if the turbine heats up the air enough that it sets before it can flow out.

edited to add: Even if that's the case, I'd try thinning it a little more.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-01-2018 at 7:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm wondering if the turbine heats up the air enough that it sets before it can flow out.

edited to add: Even if that's the case, I'd try thinning it a little more.
    I think you are likely right, Tom, about turbines not playing nice with some WB products. My friend has a lot of trouble spraying Enduro Clear Poly with his Fuji turbine w/o getting a gritty feel, and for me that product is about the most forgiving product I use with my conversion gun.

Mike, you can try opening up the fluid flow or slowing down your pace a little. Also, turn your air flow down if you can. If you can't then turning up the fluid flow is probably the better choice, but if you do that you will have to speed up your pace, too. If none of that works, I would be to get some Extender and add around 3%. That stuff is amazing in how much improves flow out. I couldn't spray SW Kem Aqua Plus with a hoot until I added some Extender to it. Then it was dead simple.

John