Thread: 32" Crescent Bandsaw Lower wheel Bearing shell, housing

32" Crescent Bandsaw Lower wheel Bearing shell, housing

I have a crescent band saw that has the lower wheel running on pillow blocks. I would like to change out the pillow blocks and change to the original babbitt bearing, but I'm lacking the original babbitt housing or shell. Any leads to an old housing would be much appreciated.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend joining the forum at owwm.org and posting in the classifieds section.

--Geoff

Why? What is wrong with the existing bearings?

The main reason is that that the pillow blocks have raised the drive shaft 11/2"-2" , which raised the lower wheel, causing the two tables to be notched out. The notch in the main table is ok, but the secondary table is about a 32nd above the rubber band. If more shims were added to raise it above the rubber it would be higher than the main table. Both tables would be unusable without the notches because the wheel would hit them.

Makes sense to go back to original design then. Probably easier and quicker to make new shells to mate with old one. Nothing critical just a lump of iron with some bolt holes and a hole for babbit. maybe some locating pins? Regardless of new or old you will have to repour the babbit. You might look into bronze sleeve bearings instead of babbit.

I would also recommend asking at owwm. Someone there may either have the babbitt shells you need, or be willing to let you borrow a set to send to a foundry to have new ones cast.