Thread: Back to looking at a Trotec Speedy 300...questions

Back to looking at a Trotec Speedy 300...questions

Hi folks.
    A couple of years ago I was looking into buying a Trotec Speedy engraving machine. After going back and forth with the local sales rep, and discovering a LARGE price discrepancy from what I was quoted. I passed on it and went in another direction for my business.

Now I am back and revisiting the idea of a laser. For my business, the CO2 tube would cover most of what I do and need it to do.
    On my personal and hobby side, I would like to have the Flexx/fiber option. I am a competitive shooter and would like to mark my firearms, magazines, etc.

Now I understand that the fiber option is not optimal on the gantry type machines. But as the fiber side would mainly be used for my personal use, I do not need a super fast marker.

For those who have dual sorce machines, are they worth it? Do you actually use the fiber often?

Is 20 watts enough for aluminum and plastic?

Thanks for any input, Stan

Stan
    There have been a number of threads related to the combination of CO2 and fiber sources. In almost all cases the recommendation is to stick with single source. Most fiber jobs can be done faster and cheaper using a galvo fiber. The gantry systems are notoriously slow and underpowered. And expensive.

I'm on my second Trotec Speedy 300. This time I got the 80 watt unit and for my money it's the best deal on the market.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It's not really about speed, it's about whether or not it will do what you need it to do or not. Gantry fiber is only a good choice when you need to mark large parts that you absolutely can't fit on a galvo fiber and the material will yield acceptable results on a gantry. The two machines will mark very differently and there are some materials and results that you just can't replicate with a gantry machine. So for the cost of adding fiber to your flexx machine you could easily buy a couple of Chinese fiber lasers and have much more capability than the flexx option. Since you want to mark firearms and magazines, I can tell you from experience that you must have galvo and gantry will not work for you. Oh, and for the difference in price, go with a minimum of 30 watts, and forget about MOPA.

Thanks guys.
    I just can’t justify the cost of two lasers that is why I was looking at a Flexx. But if it won’t work for my mags, then it’s a no go to start with.

Guess I will keep saving my pennies.

take care, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clewett View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I just can’t justify the cost of two lasers that is why I was looking at a Flexx. But if it won’t work for my mags, then it’s a no go to start with.

Guess I will keep saving my pennies.

take care, Stan
    If you can afford the cost of Flexx then you would be saving money by buying two separate lasers if one is the Trotec and the second is a Chinese fiber.

Is a Chinese machine worth it? Seems there are A LOT of posts on here about Chinese machines not working?

Is there a good “brand” or company that sells...and more importantly...services and stands by the equipment they sell?

thanks, Stan

Is a Chinese machine worth it? Seems there are A LOT of posts on here about Chinese machines not working?

Is there a good “brand” or company that sells...and more importantly...services and stands by the equipment they sell?

thanks, Stan
    A while back someone made a similar post about Epilog lasers, that it seemed there were a lot of failures. The point was made that there were a lot of failures posted because there were a lot of Epilog lasers being used. They didn't necessarily fail more, there were just more of them so you heard about them more often. Same thing with Chinese lasers, they are becoming more prolific so you hear more and more about their failures. Plus, not many people take the time to randomly post "hey, my Chinese laser is working fine". So to answer your question, yes, Chinese lasers are worth it. I have two Weike lasers and won't buy from them ever again. The machines are fine but they screwed up the configuration on a batch of three that I bought and fought with me to correct their mistake and it ended up costing me quite a bit more to get it resolved. Others will chime in with their suggestions on who to buy from, but bottom line is that there are plenty of reliable Chinese machines. Don't get one on ebay though, see my other posts about ebay lasers.

Good info Gary and thank you. I just shot off an email to a company called Jimani. Can not find much info on them, but they are here in Calif., so worse case I could always drive down there and knock on doors.

Take care, Stan

Good info Gary and thank you. I just shot off an email to a company called Jimani. Can not find much info on them, but they are here in Calif., so worse case I could always drive down there and knock on doors.

Take care, Stan
    Call them and talk to Jim Earman. He may or may not remember me but tell him that Gary from Laser Image spoke highly of him. You won't find anyone more knowledgeable and willing to help than Jim. I found an article he wrote right after I bought my second fiber and was having a difficult time with some settings for a particular material, and called him. He spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me talking about lasers, settings, materials, etc., and this was with full knowledge that I had just bought a Chinese laser and was unlikely to buy another one for a long time. Not long after that conversation he took on an import line, very similar to what most of us purchase direct from China - the difference between what he offered and what we all imported is the software and the support. He provides software that actually works and support that guarantees your success. You will pay a premium for this top level of service, but it will save you hours of frustration in the long run which means you can spend more time making money than doing the "tech support dance" with Chinese manufacturers.

Hi Gary.
    Spent over an hour on the phone with Jim. Great guy and answered lots of my questions.

I do do not mind spend money with a company that will stand behind what they sell.

His laser is on my short list.

Thanks again for the help and input.

Take care, Stan

Glad I could help.

Hi Gary.
    Spent over an hour on the phone with Jim. Great guy and answered lots of my questions.

I do do not mind spend money with a company that will stand behind what they sell.

His laser is on my short list.

Thanks again for the help and input.

Take care, Stan

Don't know if you've been following my exploits of late? Short version: I HAD 4 lasers, my big LS900 broke down, had to send the CPU in to be fixed. I abruptly found out I couldn't keep up with the work with the 3 remaining lasers; bought my Gravograph rep's LS100IQ demo unit last Saturday (4 hours from "whaddya got?" to engraving, now THAT'S service!) Today I'm wondering why I waited so long- I've got jobs running in/on all FIVE lasers, and if the work doesn't stop coming in for the fiber---

Is a Chinese machine worth it?
    YES!!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well....LOL...I am now Looking at a Speedy 100 and the Jimani fiber. Think I can fit the two into my budget.

Will follow up when I decide and/or buy one or both.

thanks again for all the input.

Be aware that the Speedy 100 has options to make it go faster. I believe they are an upgrade to make it run at it's fastest speeds. Might want to make sure you're good on that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Hi Steve.
    I was told that is only in models exported. Here in the states, it is configured to be “speedy”.