Thread: finishes for projects with kids?

finishes for projects with kids?

Any recommendations for finishes to use with a group of kids?
    (expect to be able to apply outside; the GF wipe-on varnishes I'd use on my own projects might be a bit too stinky)

Matt

What's your list of desirable characteristics? For instance..

* Are you looking for a clear finish, or a paint?
    * Does the finish need to dry quickly, so a kid can take a project home at the end of the day?
    * Do you want the kids to apply the finish, or are you willing to make that an adults-only thing?
    * How important is the durability in service of the finish?
    * Is the stinkiness of varnish really a showstopper? If so, that eliminates a whole bunch of finishes.

Jamie,
    All good questions.
    My preferences would be:
    - kids able to apply the finish
    - clear finish
    - ideally, would dry quickly

The stink is one factor; trying to manage harmful vapors is worse.

I'd be interested what others have used when working with kids.... (maybe slathering on some watco outside works out fine?)

This is to finish the sides and back of trivets built by cub scouts.
    I've heard conflicting stories about durability requirements for this application. (I believe the ones I've used in the past had an oil-based poly on, without noticeable issue).

Paint (probably GF milk paint) would be my fall-back option.

Matt

For general clear finishing in this application, just choose an readily available water borne product that is brushable, such as Minwax Polycrylic. It dries fast, has no discernible odor or VOC and cleans up nicely. For colors, there are plenty of repackaged water borne paints available in smaller, economical containers that are just fine for craft work.

Trivets are more of a challenge because of needing to be heat tolerant, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think Watco would work well. I used Formby's on my sons maple crib/bed 5 years ago and it has held up great. What kind of wood are you using? Get a box of rubber gloves! We usually don't do finishes with the cub scouts, just cheap arts and crafts paint. It's brutal looking, but the kids enjoy it.

Stan

For trivets, I'd consider using plain ole mineral oil. Slop it on, wipe it off, good to go. Seems safe and easy for cub scouts.