Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Auriou rasps?

Question about Auriou rasps?

Hi guys… just wanted to run something by those who have and use rasps. I have three 7 inch Auriou modelers rasps. Two are the 13 grain and the other is 10 grain. I also have an Auriou cabinet rasp 9 inch 10 grain. After a fair amount of work, I noticed that the 7” and the 9” rasps I originally purchased were not cutting as well as when I received them. I ordered another 7 inch and sent the dulling 7 and 9 inch rasps in to have them sharpened. I received the new second 7” 13 grain and started using it. I just didn’t seem that aggressive so I ordered an additional 7” 10 grain. I received it and it doesn’t seem that aggressive or “sharp” either. The sharpening company I sent the original two to returned them (sharpened) and I began using them. I was shocked at how much better they cut, and seem to have retained the sharpness so far. Does this make any sense? As I remember the original 7” and 9” rasps cut pretty well in the beginning, but the 2nd 13 grain and the 10 grain 7” rasps I recently purchased just seemed somewhat dull out of the package. Anyway, has anyone else had this experience …. where the brand new Aurious were improved by a commercial sharpener. The company I used is called Boggs Tool (in California). They apparently use a method called “abrasive blast liquid honing”. I was shocked when I compared the “new” 7” 13 grain to the newly sharpened 7” 13 grain. The 9 inch after being sharpened, performed better than when I first purchased it. This was especially true on the back flat side.
    Thoughts?

I've used Boogs a number of times in the past, mostly on files, but also a few junk rasps. Superb job, and dirt cheap. If they use their process on your tool and the results are not to their standard, the paint the tail red, return it to you, but you are not charged.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Thanks Tony! They certainly did a great job on these two rasps!

Curious that your new, dull rasps come at the same time the company is out with the tin cup looking for money to keep operating. I wonder if they are related or you just got a bad rasp? Having run a small tool company in the past, everything is on the owner, marketing, manufacturing, sales, etc. When hyper focused on one, another area could be impacted.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete, the thought (regarding focus) had entered my mind. I purchased the original 2 rasps at least a year ago. While they cut better out of the package than the more recent purchases, I think the sharpening process actually improved the original edges . I am wondering if Boggs is using a process that somehow enhances the sharpness beyond the original "hand cut" sharp. I am thinking about sending in the "new" rasps. There is a notable difference between the sharpened (better) pair than the "out of the box" pair I just received. I am just trying to figure out if this all makes sense and wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Mark,

I may be wrong, but I think the "sharpening" process is just an acid etch. Removes a uniform amount of metal from all surfaces and as a result, what was a .002" dull edge comes to a knife point again. You can only get away with that so many times before the tooth becomes too weak due to metal removal to support the chip load it's being asked to cut.

Regards,

Pete

Looks like it works I suppose the question is now why sharper than new. Is that to be expected.... If we were talking about plane irons I would expect to have to do a little work, but most of us don't have the ability to sharpen rasps.

Mark; you may want to consider swapping over to Logiers range of Saphire coated rasps. http://www.liogier-france.fr/savoir-...ionsTechniques

Technical Innovation: the Sapphire range

In addition to the traditional range (called "Tradition"), we used the latest advances in the metal industry to create a new line to strictly exceptional performance.
    Click on the image to enlarge
    • Hardness : in 3.800Hv surface (Vickers), rasp the hardest in the world!

• Mordant : significantly improved and thus increased material removal capacity.

• Rust : highly resistant to corrosive environments without protective lubrication.

• Performance and life : highly increased compared to rasps Tradition.

This is the "ultimate"! More efficient in all, bringing a real surplus of comfort in working with wood, this range is particularly recommended for hard materials (like old oak hard wood, plastics like hard Perspex Ertalon, etc.), resins (polyurethane resins, acrylic or epoxy)

Thanks Stewie, Maybe on the next rasp I will give Logiers a try, I have seen the brand mentioned here and there. Never tried one though. Thanks for the info!

Boggs' process is not just an acid etch; it's an interesting mix of acid and abrasion. As a local I've watched him do some of my files.

After sharpening tools can be sharper than new. When manufactured files and rasps (like plane blades and chisels) often have their teeth cut but not sharpened.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Thanks Chuck for your comments. After starting this thread, I contacted Boggs and talked to them about my experience. What you are saying is consistent with what they told me. I can tell you my sharpened rasps cut very well, better than fresh out of the package.

Another nice thing about Boggs is, though they may paint the tangs red of files/rasps, they cannot sharpen, you don't get charged for their time, plus you'll find, the tools still cut better than when you sent them! The red is so they know not to try to sharpen them again.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Thanks Tony good to know!!

In following the link to Liogier I was trying (unsuccessfully) to determine if the Sapphire line of rasps is coated with something that makes the surface hard or if the hardness is throughout the tool. Anyone know?

I'm sure it's a surface treatment just like nitriding or anodizing.