Thread: What Can I Use This For

What Can I Use This For

I bought this a long time ago, and frankly never used it. Not even quite sure what my original for it was. I know it is a pump, but what type of things can it pump? Feel dumb even asking but it has been sitting on a shelf for about 25 years.

IMG_20180909_115103948.jpg

Love to hear from others on suggestions, other than using it as a paper weight or an anchor. Too big for one, too small for the other.

Thanks
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Will you please post some photos that show the rest of the unit?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do you want to know what you could use the pump for? Or do you want to know what you could use the pictured motor for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Do you want to know what you could use the pump for? Or do you want to know what you could use the pictured motor for?
    You know, some days are just days when you shouldn't even try to think. Thank you. That is what I bought it for so many years ago, to run a pump. And yes, I am trying to see what else I could the motor for. Here is a photo of the entire motor.

IMG_20180929_174833349.jpg
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Anything that needs a 1/2hp motor. A small bandsaw, belt driven grinder, belt sander, disc sander, drill press, jointer, compressor, ventilation fan, buffer, sharpening hone, lathe, and whatever comes to mind I’ve forgotten.

Without a picture of the pump it makes good ballast for tall tippy tools like a drill press or pedestal grinder. Maybe a base for a mailbox or birdbath. You could make a trebuchet for pumpkin throwing with Halloween coming up. Those need lots of weight in the counterweight box.
    Bil lD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN18I-RBVm4

Grainger still sells the 6K482 model motor or about $180.00
    Because the motor is TEFC, it is particularly suited to a sawdusty environment.
    The fact that it is a 3450 rpm motor and a small 48 frame (1/2" shaft) limits its utility some. Most 1/2 HP motors found on woodworking machinery are 56 frame (5/8" shaft) and 1750 rpm.
    It might be good for a small jointer, small shaper or small table saw. It would be great for a small belt grinder or wheel grinder if the mechanism were well built enough to take the higher rpm.
    Maybe a strategy to consider would be to list it on Craigslist so someone else could put it to use if you're not interested in modifying or rebuilding woodworking machinery.

I have the same motor sitting on my workshop bench.
    It came out of my oil furnace when I had it replaced.

Was going to use it on the Shopnotes edge sander but never did finish the project.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....e-Sander-Plans
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale