Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone wall for a garden

Stone wall for a garden

Has anybody on here ever built a stone wall. (taller than 6 ft)?

Yes. As well as stone chimneys, and fireplaces. I've built new ones with granite from our abandoned quarry, and matched old stonework using local sandstone. What's the question?
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-29-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Code will require a railing on a 6' wall so kids do not run off it because they do not see the drop ahead.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Code is different from state to state. In some states it is against regulations to build a fence taller than 6'.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

well i would like to build one for one side of a planned garden. thiinking about how to do it.
    is a concrete footing absolutely necessary?
    i think buttresses would be important for strength/stability what would be the most efficient spacing and size/design ( maybe concrete block)?
    how wide do i have to make it at the base? Thinking of stability and efficiency?
    thanks in advance

Something that tall is going to require very careful preparation (base/footing) and will also be best served with some reinforcement. Some masons would build a core with block (filled and with rebar) and then stack and mortar the stone for "the look". For six feet tall, a substantial structure will be require...and that's assuming it's not holding back a slope. If it is, then there are additional considerations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What type of stone, and is it a retaining wall, or barrier wall? In any case, I wouldn't bother to build the wall without a substantial footing. If I was using the stone that I work with around here, 18" would be the minimum thickness at the bottom. Buttresses could reduce that.

The stone walls that we've built have all been repairs, or replacements for basement, and foundation walls for old houses. Only basement walls have been taller than your 6'. Those have typically been two layers thick below ground level, and two feet thick. We fill the center with concrete as we go up.

What type of stone you use, and how you want the finished look will change the list of tools I'd recommend. A picture of what you want would help. For instance, it could be anything from dry stacked Large stones, to a thin veneer over blocks, and the tools required for either wouldn't overlap that much.

Trow & Holden has quite a number of good videos on youtube for the different techniques, and most of the tools you would need for any method. trowandholden.com

I used my back hoe to lay up a rather low wall for our garden. Only three feet at the tallest point. and as low as 10 inches at the lowest. I laid huge flat stones using the machine. The three foot high corner is still standing fine after 15 years. The lower part just fell all apart with the freezing and heaving in winter. The three foot high corner has huge rocks down 18 inches under the surface for a footer and the upper side was back filled to almost the top. I have a large pile of large rocks gathered making a level picnic area in the back yard. That wall will only be about 12 inches high at the top, but I am going to put a footer under it that goes down at least 30 inches. and this time I will put some mortar in the wall. I can get a nice level area about 20 feet in diameter. If and when I get the time, I want to put in a pavilion with a brick oven and closed pit BBQ across one wall. (My cousin had a colonial brick kitchen hearth with brick oven built in his modern kitchen. Folks would do anything and everything to finagle an invite for Thanksgiving, which was always cooked in the big hearth and brick oven. )

Perry, your Cousin, and I would get along just fine. This is typical of the type of repairs I do. A front end loader gets the call for very large stones here too. That lower corner stone looks like it's not a good match for the rest of the stones there, but it came out of that spot originally. This with Lime Mortar on an early 19th Century house.

This was inside an EL, and the dirt had washed out. The form is for a concrete footing under the outer layer, that was originally just laid on top of the ground.

Here's another whole basement we have to redo. This small section of dry stacked wall is the only original part left on this 1798 house. Someone dug out a basement after the house was built. It gradually all caved in, except for that one section held up by an intersecting wall in the basement. What remains of the rest of it is stones have have been placed as the rest caved inward. The whole thing has to be redone. Those few remaining original stones are cut from nearby Glacial Erratic s, of which there are a fair number of around this part of the country.

I have it setting on angled legs, so the old stonework can be removed for the work.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-01-2018 at 3:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Another consideration that no one has mentioned is drainage. Water behind the wall will exert tremendous pressure and if it freezes, it will push even more. You need to insure that water can drain out of your wall. An loose fill behind your wall is going to settle and put pressure on your wall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

thanks for all the responses. I was in a train going from prague to venice. when i woke in the morning we were chugging down italy and passing lots of italian back yards. so many of them contained stone walls , under construction, with piles of stone and sand and bags of cement under tarps. \the idea took hold. now that the house is finished, and i am close to finishing this particular bit of employment, i am thinking to start my wall this winter. i was pretty sure that a reinforced footing was required, but was hoping some one woukd tell me of sucees with out one. i live on an island and concrete is expensive and difficult to arrange. i had set my sights on six feet as a garden on this island has to deal with deer. buttime age and stability may suggest i shorten it. and maybe put another type of barrier on top. i also have always thought to put a fountain and basin in the wall.
    any more/other thoughts and contributions would be appreciated

Not sure this will be a good "winter" project unless you have remarkably mild weather there in Surrey. Concrete/mortar is going to be involved...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A few suggestions:

Frost protection - Found the wall below frost line on a clean (non frost susceptible and free draining) gravel bedding maybe a foot thick. Backfill behind the wall with gravel to a distance beyond the frost penetration.

Drainage - Make sure to use some method of grading the backfill so it allows water to drain but not pipe any material. Filter fabric can be used at the back face of the wall. Depending on the native soil used behind the wall it might be good to place filter fabric on the backside of the gravel fill to keep native soils from piping into the gravel backfill behind the wall. Make sure you provide drainage through the wall with small drain pipes if you mortar the rock wall.

Rock quality - Make sure the rock you select can withstand freeze thaw over a long time (30 years?) or it will disintegrate and become unstable. Look up type of rock to use or talk to a geologist.

Placement of rocks - You will be building a gravity retaining wall so you should build it as such. You can probably look up how to do that. Maybe use something other than quarry rocks for some of that. Maybe a few gabions or concrete interlocking blocks. Make sure you place the individual rocks so they are stable. Place rocks so their upper surface is sloped back, not forward, etc. Also, talk to someone like Tom King for tips on how to do it and what not to do.

There are probably other considerations but who ever said drainage is important is correct. I have a 3 to 6' rock wall out front of my place that is seriously compromised due to frost deteriorating the individual rocks and material piping from behind the rock wall through the joints between the rocks. Also, some rocks are sliding out (protruding) from the wall because the surface of the rock below them is canted forward instead of backward.

Good luck - It will look nice if done properly. There is more to the art of building rock walls than just laying up rocks. I see landscapers lay rock walls that don't look right and are not right when done. I know there are people who know how to do rock walls. Talk to Tom King.
    Last edited by Bob Grier; 10-02-2018 at 10:13 AM.

I am unsure of what you want to build. Are you building a retaining wall downhill to create garden space or a free standing wall- "fence" around a level garden? Seems like you are getting answers for both.

For inspiration:

Personally, I use a hammer drill for the holes, and wedges and feathers hit with a much smaller hammer, but there are many ways to do it. This keeps an 86 year old in good shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NsirLXUMk

Wedges and feathers come in a bunch of different sizes. Often, it's faster to cut one like you need it, than to find just the right stone. It's worth watching all the Trow and Holden videos, even if you don't have enough work to justify their expensive, carbide edged tools. There are tools to chisel off the half holes left.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8G6pwn-3A
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-02-2018 at 5:08 PM.