Thread: Zeroing the Z

Zeroing the Z

I am using Mach3 and I have been zeroing the Z axis using the eyeball or paper routine. In the past I was using a piece of stainless steel shim stock and a continuity checker. Its been mis filed in the mess I call my shop. So I have another continuity checker and some shim stock again to try.

In the mean time I found one of the LED zero indicators on Amazon and have one ordered. Magnetic which will work great on my wood projects but I have plan to clip a wire to the spindle. Just wondering if the folks on here are using a auto zero macro in your software or how?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We are not mach3 but we do a little of both. Manual setting by eye but most of it is with a auto Z zero setter on the machine. Ours is a switch type similar to a touch probe. Set it on the deck, or on the work, and hit Auto Z (we also have a key on the pendant programed to that macro). 99% of the time we use the Z zero setter. Eyeball/paper only for setting zero's on non flat parts.

I used a touch plate when I first received my machine but moved to the "auto-measure" system on my machine since then. Like Mark describes, there's a switch just off the cutting area, front left, that the spindle travels to for each tool change opportunity (including starting the file initially) and measures relative to the top of the spoilboard. (I can also referent top-of-material if I want to, but I don't)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill...
    I believe that Gerry's 2010 screenset has autozero macros included. http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Bill...
    I believe that Gerry's 2010 screenset has autozero macros included. http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html
    I purchased long ago and just got around to installing last week I find it difficult to read on my laptop screen at any of the supplied layouts. I went back to using my Simple Screen for now or the OEM one. I need something I can read at a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I find it difficult to read on my laptop screen at any of the supplied layouts. I went back to using my Simple Screen for now or the OEM one. I need something I can read at a distance.
    I had same issue (although my CNC controller is an All-in-one, not laptop). I solved it by mirroring screen to my shop TV (50").
    IMG_0146.jpg
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

I use a macro that I wrote (well, I borrowed most of it from several on the web) and a very crude setup. I have a nice flat 3" brass sheet square that is pretty flat that I attached a wire to. The other end of the wire is an alligator clip. I clip that to the spindle as you mentioned. I move the tool to the area where I want to set my zero, then I start my macro. I added a step to mine that requires the plate make contact with the spindle before the routine starts. That allows me to hit the button, then get situated. When I am ready, I simply raise the plat to touch the tool, then set it back down and allow the routine to do its thing. I built one for locating corners too. Very practical, tiny investment, and it is pretty accurate.

Very easy to do in Mach3.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    I had same issue (although my CNC controller is an All-in-one, not laptop). I solved it by mirroring screen to my shop TV (50").
    IMG_0146.jpg
    Here is my Simple Screen layout, lots easier to read for me, but I do have an couple of extra large screen sets I could use!!
    Attached Images Attached Images