Thread: Faceplates

Faceplates

... tried to post on the classifieds but I had no post button for some reason.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-28-2018 at 2:03 AM.

I think you have to be a contributor to post in the Classifieds

Yes, details here: https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

It's so cheap it's almost free and helps keep the forum on line.

I apologize for my ignorance, sign up complete

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    I apologize for my ignorance, sign up complete
    No apology necessary, welcome to the Contributor Club! Every little bit helps. If you post now in Classifieds you might just find some since fewer people seem to be using faceplates now. The spindle thread you use is less common than some, though. You might check ebay too. Good luck!

Just curious, what kinds of things will you turn on these?

JKJ

Thanks John I'm sorry I just realized you asked a question. I am looking to build a few fixtures that supports dried warped bowls, I got the idea from glenn Lucas. It does three things keeps the bowl sizes consistent, it is fast to chuck a bowl up and most important it allows the tenon on the bowl to be re-cut based on the rim of the bowl and not the "green" center. If the bowl warps just a little offset then you can compensate for it and cut a trued tenon. Sense you use pressure from the tail stock you need a large faceplate to support the MDF. I will buy new faceplates if I have to but at 100 plus bucks a piece I sure would like to find some used ones that are in someones way. I like to turn 4 sizes or bowls for usable utility bowls so I would like to make 4 of these.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    ...I will buy new faceplates if I have to but at 100 plus bucks a piece I sure would like to find some used ones that are in someones way.
    Yikes, I had no idea the m33 faceplates were so expensive. I have a collection of 1-1/4x8 cast iron faceplates and they are pretty cheap in comparison. Any way to use a spindle adapter with a cheaper faceplate? (I dislike spindle adapters in general but some use them a lot.)

I'm not sure I'm visualizing what you're making. Is your planned jig something like a donut chuck which grasps the bowl between a MDF plate and a ring, allowing positioning and access to the bottom?

Can you do it the old DIY way with a tap and make something equivalent directly from an MDF glueup? I've also known people who made custom faceplates by welding large nuts to a steel plate. A shop with a CNC lathe could probably "turn" out several of these hubs to fit your lathe.

Instead of using a faceplate could the MDF be grasped in a big scroll chuck?

JKJ

Dean, a M33 spindle tap will let you make very cheap utility pieces. I recently made one of Glenn's "rough bowl jam plates" using a piece of 2x10 as the body with MDF semi circles supporting the sides of the bowl. I drilled & tapped a 1-1/4 x 8 hole in the 2x10. I have a box full of assorted jam chucks & MDF buffing wheels tapped this way.

For anyone wondering what Dean is talking about, this article shows one of Glenn's jam chucks.

I do have a M33 spindle tap. I make all kinds of chuck type adapters so to speak. I generally stabilize the ones that I will use over and over but maybe I can stabilize a piece to glue into the MDF. Like always I am always trying to make something 10 times stronger than it needs to be. I have a couple M33 nuts I could weld to plates but I need to find someone to surface it because it will warp some. I will look at the prices of other faceplates maybe an adapter would be the way to go. I agree I tend not to use them but I understand that craft supply has some good ones. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll come up with something. Thanks David the article, that is exactly what I'm wanting to make.
    Dean