Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/4 or 1 1/4 inch shaper spindle for Minimax CU300 C

I have no idea why SCM would make a nice shaper and then make it almost useless with the odd RPM selections? Unfortunately the speeds are shifted upwards into ranges that eliminate a lot of tooling. It would have been nice if they had provided 3,000, 6,000 and 8,000 RPM or something similar.

All they need is a new pair of pulleys for the 60Hz market.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I have no idea why SCM would make a nice shaper and then make it almost useless with the odd RPM selections? Unfortunately the speeds are shifted upwards into ranges that eliminate a lot of tooling. It would have been nice if they had provided 3,000, 6,000 and 8,000 RPM or something similar.

All they need is a new pair of pulleys for the 60Hz market.

Regards, Rod.
    It's really too bad. I emailed SCM about it to verify that they don't have another pulley available and I let everyone know what they say, but I believe Mark already did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Bradshaw View Post
    Brent, I looked at Whitehill's offerings and it's pretty expansive!!
    For what it is quality-wise, Whitehill is pretty reasonable.

Routerbitworld has the lowest prices I've found for Freeborn cutters. If I can't find it on their site I call and they get it for me.

I emailed a contact there as well and told them its wake up time loosing sales, he might be away ill try again.

I guess I'm missing something regarding the RPM ranges. So far, the only cutter head that I've seen that didn't fit the machines ranges was the 40mm combi head from Whitehill.....but their larger combi head (50 or 55mm) does fit the rpm ranges of the Minimax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Bradshaw View Post
    I guess I'm missing something regarding the RPM ranges. So far, the only cutter head that I've seen that didn't fit the machines ranges was the 40mm combi head from Whitehill.....but their larger combi head (50 or 55mm) does fit the rpm ranges of the Minimax.
    Hi Mickey, you'll find that the larger diameter blocks will offer a much better cut and they will typically have an upper limit somewhere in the 7000s. That is why MM gives you that RPM option in Europe and should in NA as well. Heads run safely at 8400 RPM will be smaller diameter, and any larger ones supposedly capable of higher I would be suspicious of. The larger combi head could work well with large projection knives at the lowest RPM, but I expect it would be too slow when used for rebateing at that low of an RPM.

I know people run the smaller combi head at the higher RPM but of course it can't be reccomended.

B

Hi Brent, what you write makes sense. I just can't believe that out of all of the different posts that I've read when trying to make a decision of what machine to buy, no one in the Minimax camp ever mentioned this limitation. I may start another thread to see how CU 300 owners have dealt with it. I do appreciate your input and thank you for pointing that out.

I did a quick survey and I don't think the heads with limiters can do the higher RPM, though the Amana ones without limiters are good for 9000. It's really too bad, because the limiters are a great idea for safety and in fact are mandatory for manually operated machines in Europe.....even with a power feeder.

Limiters are not as popular in NA so many folks just use the little Amana ones, so it may not be so much of an issue, but your machine has the heft to run larger blocks and It's too bad you can't.

I also sent SCM an email saying they're silly but haven't heard anything back! We'll see....if enough people get on them they may do what Felder does.....especially if people say that Felder does!

B