Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Wright View Post
    I agree with using color and icons but I prefer the good old fashioned three months (previous, current and next) at a time calendar over a single month.
    My preference as well, Kerry. However, most of the kids and adults with whom I work cannot deal with this much information at once.

The colours, etc are all to create foreground and push some information into the background (while still keeping it present).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I took my watch off 16 years ago when i retired and never worn one since.

3. Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just going to be using hand tools I might leave it on. I remove my ring and watch when I'm doing anything that could cause harm to me or them. I wear a watch quite a bit though. A good silicone band is comfortable and I prefer a physical, analog dial.
    Attachment 395683

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Harrison View Post
    A good silicone band is comfortable
    Attachment 395683
    If you like silicone you should try natural NBR rubber like Bonetto Cinturini makes: http://www.bonettocinturini.it/en/index.html
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If you like silicone you should try natural NBR rubber like Bonetto Cinturini makes: http://www.bonettocinturini.it/en/index.html
    I'll look into those. Thanks!

My parents gave me a Rolex Submariner at college grad as I was working as a diver. I've worn it for 49 years. Had it serviced every 5 years or so. Bought a new Rolex band a few years ago which cost more than the watch. They tell me it's worth a lot now but I'll keep wearing it. Keeps good time, needs no battery, don't have to wind it as it's self winding by my wrist movements.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    My parents gave me a Rolex Submariner at college grad as I was working as a diver. I've worn it for 49 years. Had it serviced every 5 years or so. Bought a new Rolex band a few years ago which cost more than the watch. They tell me it's worth a lot now but I'll keep wearing it. Keeps good time, needs no battery, don't have to wind it as it's self winding by my wrist movements.
    If it was new stock in 1969 it is either a 5512, 5513 or 1680. If it has a date then it is a 1680 and oddly less desirable than the 5512/13 no date Subs. In '69 the 5512 will have 4 lines of text below the hands (a "4 liner") the last 4 lines will be "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified". That means it has a movement (Either a 1560 or 1570, I think the latter in '69) that was sent to the COSC for certification that it met the accuracy standards of the COSC at the time. The 5513 would have had a non-certified movement. All three are certainly collectible but everything depends on condition and how original they are. For example, watches are often polished when they are serviced the more a vintage watch has been polished the less it is worth. Also dials, hands, bezels and stems are often replaced each drops the value. Box, papers and anchor add a lot to the value. A good original 5513 will start around $6-7K over $10K for a similar 5512. Some of this era Rolex had some interesting patina patterns such as ghosting of the bezel, spider cracking/star dusting of the dial and the dial turning brown (called a tropical) most of the watches with these issues had the offending parts replaced but the originals can bring big money, kinda like error stamps and coins.

Wear the watch and enjoy it, just don't allow it to be polished and if you MUST replace any original externally visible parts get the originals from the watchmaker and keep them. The 5512/13 are poised for a long appreciation arc and if I were still in the game I would be buying every original, unpolished, box and papers example I could find.

Rolex used to have the worst bracelets of any mid-tier brand but for the last 10 or so years they have the best, but just the Glidelock clasp for a new Sub is well over $1K.

The only "famous" woodworker/maker that I know what watch they wear is Jimmy DiResta who wears a 114060 no date Sub circa 2010. I say famous since he was indeed on a prime time network TV show.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,

It's a 5513 - 210.00 retail in 1969. All original. I didn't take it off for the first 10 years until the dirt in the band from 30 countries started to smell and I had to clean it. I have a friend that grew up in a watch makers family, he's retired now and does watches as a hobby and he's really good. He services mine and the only polish is the crystal which I scratch regularly. I have the box, papers, anchor, and original band. Been offered 10k.

I think David Barron wear one in his woodwork shop.

I don't think I'm particularly famous (yet?) but I wore my mid '80s 168000 in the shop every day for years; not so much any more. And yeah, the clasps....I'd like to upgrade the Fliplock but the new clasps cost more than my watch did.

Quote Originally Posted by dan petroski View Post
    I took my watch off 16 years ago when i retired and never worn one since.
    I did the same thing at about the same time. Although I have worn it once when we went on a cruise about 10 years ago as we needed to know the time to make it to the various excursions.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

My daughter gave me a Casio G-Shock watch for my birthday 10-15 years ago. Can't kill it.

It just keeps on ticking, if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    It just keeps on ticking, if you will excuse the mixed metaphor.
    Mixed or not it does sound better than "It just keeps on vibrating". 32,768 times a second to be rather precise. I bought an original 5300 in 1983 when they first came out while I was in high school, wish I still had it.

I wear an analog Citizen WR 100 Gn-4-s my son got me for Christmas 10/12 years ago.
    It stays on my wrist 7x24 - even when I go swimming every day.
    I probably should take it off when using power tools, but, I usually forget.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I wear a watch everyday and occasionally wear one in the shop. Today I was wearing a vintage two tone Rolex DJ. A few weeks ago I was wearing a vintage pink gold PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Mills View Post
    I wear a watch everyday and occasionally wear one in the shop. Today I was wearing a vintage two tone Rolex DJ. A few weeks ago I was wearing a vintage pink gold PP.
    When I read the post I had to took a double take because it reads more like a WUS post than an SMC post... Wonder what percentage of people here know what a DJ or a PP is. Out of curiosity which PP? I must say I wear my watches without a lot of regard to anything but water but I must say if I have on a PP, VC Lange or AP they get switched out before going to the shop, kudos to you for wearing them. I have dived with my Nautilus and Aquanaut though.