Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

No. I have a large clock on the wall.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes, I wear a watch 24/7 and have for about the last 50 years. No rings in the shop.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Tom, Knowing how authentic your work is ,I'm guessing you stop for lunch by looking at a "noon mark". I'm a big fan of
    them and in the process of writing about a couple old ones in this city. But I would accept any old watches you don't want
    anymore.
    I have a very accurate stomach that tells me when it's time to go for lunch, which is also early enough to beat the rush. The only watches I have are for timing sailboat racing starts. If I really need to know, even though I don't answer it when I'm working, there is a cellphone in my pocket.

One early 19th Century house I worked on had a curious change in direction, of a few degrees, halfway up the stone basement walls. I never had an idea why until we were walking by it on a clear night. They had changed the orientation so it perfectly faced the North Star.

I feel stark naked without a watch. $30 Timex Ironman. I’m on my 3rd one. 1st one got destroyed at Officer Training in Alabama. Had my wife send a $10 watch from Wally World and it lasted 10 hours, no joke. 2nd Ironman got destroyed carrying a cabinet through a 2-8 doorway (in front of the homeowner), she quipped, “I guess you’re off the clock?” Good thing I bid all my work! My current watch is holding strong, but the strap-holder-thingy broke last week. Being the cheapo that I am, instead of dropping $30 on a new I just wrapped a rubber band around it. It was my wife’s idea, she’s a genius.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-28-2018 at 8:36 AM.
    -Lud

Interesting,sounds like the house was a noon mark. And,of course ,they wanted to make the most of the light. I remember
    a lecture about Monticello . The speaker corulated Jefferson's daily schedule to what room he was in at different times of the day and said he was following the sunlight.

Interesting question and answers!

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread.

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Lastly, yes, I do wear a watch, and it is analogue (of course).

Regards from Perth

Derek

No rings. No jewelry. No watches. Long sleeve cuffs either rolled up or buttoned down. Long hair tied back. Loose shirts tucked into the pants.

Just habit from being raised on a farm and working as a machinist/lab tech for a while.

The only injury I saw due to a watch was a friend of mine. We were working on a tractor that had a batter mounted on the side. His watch band (metal) touched from the positive terminal to the ground. It turned dull red by the time he got it flicked off. Still has a scar from that burn. (one I would have never guessed could happen)

Since Rich Riddle gave me a Mickey Mouse watch, I wear it every day except when using machinery or making electrical measurements......Rod.

Yes i wear a watch, old mechanical type, analog of course. Also normally have my cell phone with me to turn on/off my hearing aids when running equipment. Also have an analog clock on the wall. And yes I wear a ring when in the shop. Never come close to having an issue in over 30 years....so far. ha

I wear a smart watch connected to my phone. I don't like carrying my phone since I've already got a couple of pencils, a sharpie, Benchmade Infidel, Leatherman Wave, Stanley 25' tape in a holster, Sony mp3 player, and a Garmin Alpha dog training remote on me all flipping day long.

Plus, I've lost numerous phones to impact when in my pocket. They're safer in the office or in my bench. Spending $800 on a new phone on the regular isn't my idea of fun.

The nice thing with a smart watch is I know when the phone rings, and I can read an email or text message. If it's important, go find my phone, or finish up what I'm doing and then respond.

I have no clue how the building trades functioned before mobile phones.

We forget how expensive time pieces used to be. To see some really funny stuff Google the " knocker uppers", they were people who would awaken you by pea shooters or long sticks aimed at your window. For a small fee!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    We forget how expensive time pieces used to be.
    I like watches. If I had the money for something so frivolous, I would collect them. Stupid, but I like fancy watches.

I priced out as Omega a number of years ago. Nothing crazy flashy, and I was willing to spend maybe $5k if I was never going to have to do it again. The stupid thing was $15k. NOPE. I'm well outside of their demographic.

I wear a watch from sun up till bed time. I'm so old fashioned that I still use a flip phone. In my shop, 1 have HF 10" wall clock (battery operated,) that is deadly accurate. Battery lasts a couple years. My wrist watch is a $7.88 special from Walmart. They last for years, unless you submerse them in water. If it got damaged, what am I out?

I would love a really nice watch. But when I get the money saved, I always end up with a tool or more walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I priced out as Omega a number of years ago. Nothing crazy flashy, and I was willing to spend maybe $5k if I was never going to have to do it again. The stupid thing was $15k. NOPE. I'm well outside of their demographic.
    I assume it was a precious metal Omega. Even now with Omega pulling their prices up in line with Rolex I can't think of a 15k stainless Omega.

The fact everyone has quit wearing watches just means more for me!

Vwn6d6bh.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.