Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

No watch in the shop. Like Frederick, a large battery clock on the shop wall.
    Metal wedding band when not in the shop, silicone wedding band in the shop.

I don't see them as an anachronism ,but they have been changed without practical reasons a lot. Smaller,bigger,thinner
    thicker, retro, futuristic, self winding, electric, casual ,formal. I Remember the astounding Acutrons! Accurate to within a
    minute a month. And I will never forget a watch just as accurate, that had an animated and talking clown face. That one was free and tossed on to a 7-eleven counter as I paid for "8 gallons or more" gasoline.

Yes, most of the time I wear a watch during my shop time.
    Paul

No watches or other jewelry in the shop. The clock on the wall tells time just fine.

I stopped wearing a ring years ago for safety also. I never remembered to take it off and nearly lost it several times when I did. Ultimately, I hooked it swinging a mattock and nearly took off my ring finger. The wife wasn't happy when I stopped wearing it, but when I showed her a what appeared to be a morgue picture from the interweb of a severed finger, a mangled ring, and a dead looking hand missing a finger, she basically forbade me from wearing a ring after that.

Recently, I have even gone from wearing my beloved flannels in the shop to wearing sweatshirts (no hoods) with their tight fitting sleeves. I don't always remember to button up the sleeves on flannels and I'm afraid of catching one in a machine.

Well, I will never be able to compete with Van, but "yes" I wear a mechanical watch daily.

Completely agree with Derek re analog time being entirely a different concept. I look at my watch more than my cell phone for time, and "relate" to the watch time whereas the cell phone time is just a data point - if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Patrick McCarthy; 09-28-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: It was suggested i shared too much

I stopped wearing a watch when I retired 18 years ago.
    Cheers,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Interesting question and answers!

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread.

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Lastly, yes, I do wear a watch, and it is analogue (of course).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Explain this difference. Isn't it all pretend numbers and man-made units?

Got my watch band across 12 V while working on my car and raised a blister all around my wrist. I stopped wearing a metal watch band after that.

While in the Air Force, the woodshop for us at every base had a photo of a finger detached at the wedding ring at the table saws. That visual convinced me to remove my ring and watch (with nylon watch band) when working in the shop.

Originally Posted by Derek Cohen
    Interesting question and answers!

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread.

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Lastly, yes, I do wear a watch, and it is analogue (of course).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Explain this difference. Isn't it all pretend numbers and man-made units?
    Johnny, Patrick described it well ...

Completely agree with Derek re analog time being entirely a different concept. I look at my watch more than my cell phone for time, and "relate" to the watch time whereas the cell phone time is just a data point - if that makes sense.
    Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I assume it was a precious metal Omega. Even now with Omega pulling their prices up in line with Rolex I can't think of a 15k stainless Omega.

The fact everyone has quit wearing watches just means more for me!

Attachment 394075
    My God, Van! You really are a fan of military watches. Totally out of our leagues.

I have one Rolex Submariner (unlike you), although the watch I wear most days is a Tudor Submariner I purchased in 1984 (spent much time surfing and windsurfing in my younger days). My son says that he will one day buy me the watch I covet, which is a vintage Omega Speedmaster with Lemania movement. My money seems to instead go on woodworking tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Never worn a watch. Never needed one. Spent over half my life racing against one though.
    I used to obsess about my split and interval times in races for a few decades, until I realized that it was simple. You were either in front of me, or not. I didn't race or train with a computer for the last 5 years of my racing career.

Derek
    I understand where you're coming from. It's hard to explain how to compress time in a race, to a person, that has no concept of time to begin with. An analog watch is visual, you can see the rate at which time changes.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

What type of racing were (are) you doing, Mike?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I assume it was a precious metal Omega. Even now with Omega pulling their prices up in line with Rolex I can't think of a 15k stainless Omega.

The fact everyone has quit wearing watches just means more for me!

Attachment 394075
    I'm wondering if I was looking at a special edition or something. Like I said, it was pretty plain. The case was stainless, the bezel and face were a burnt orange color that matched the leather strap. I didn't dig through their site too far, but I didn't see anything like it.

Looks like most of their watches are in that $5k range.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    What type of racing were (are) you doing, Mike?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Started out as an 800m runner in high school and Jr.college.Tried the mile a few times, but couldn't keep track of which lap I was on. Switched to racing bicycles in my mid 20's, specializing as a time trialist and leadout man, and raced for 25+ years. Did a few triathlons along the way for fun. My life was run by the second hand from about 13 years old to my mid 40's. It's bad when you know how many milliseconds each heartbeat is, and time it to your pedal stroke.
    I was also on a submarine for 4 years and 10 months, but whose counting, and we were timed, and recorded, practicing to launch SLBM's.
    I drive my wife nuts sometimes by telling her long we've been waiting, or standing in a line, to the minute.

BTW
    There is still something very elegant about a mechanical movement, analog watch, that a digital will just never achieve.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-28-2018 at 8:00 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Nope, hate having anything on my wrist. I haven't been able to get my wedding ring off for the last 30 years, so it stays put. Not about to take a hacksaw to it.

Can't believe all the old pictures with guys running lathes with neckties on.