Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I didn't know that anyone but nurses, and sailboat racers wore watches any more.
    I thought I had replied to this, but must have forgotten to send.

Teachers are another group that still wear watches (at least I do). Easier to glance at the wrist than hope they replaced the batteries in the clock in whatever classroom I am in.

Seiko Railroad Approved is my go to. Wore one out and am on my second. The first I wore down the top of the stem enough that it detached from the shaft (bought it late 80s and had the failure a few years ago). While I had that one off for repairs, bought the solar version of that watch and haven't looked back. I like it since has big clear numbers on it (No roman numerals, no just tick marks and no blank faces (ugh how can you be precise with no markings?)). Only improvement I would make is ditching the day/date which blocks out the number 3 (and half the time I forget to reset at the end of the month)

It has been interesting for the last twelve years of teaching college chemistry I have noticed the decline of watches with the rise of cell phones. Over the last couple of years though the trend is reversing with the advent of the Smartwatch. I'm a little intrigued but still have to think about what time 3:55 is versus five til four. Smart watches do pose another problem in the classroom about cheating on exams (alas the academic integrity arms race continues )

John

I haven’t worn a watch in years. My mother in law would buy me a $20.00 Timex for a birthday. When it croaked I would get another when bday or Christmas came around.

I have a Wenger ‘Swiss Army’ watch, but batteries only last a short time, so it hangs on a hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    That said, I want to ask about those saying they don't wear a ring in the shop. How is a ring a hazard? Seems if the ring catches on something, your finger was already going to catch on it. What am I missing? I take my ring off usually to protect the ring, like if I'm working on metal parts, but didn't really think of it as a safety hazard.
    I tended to keep catching mine on things, like when carrying lumber or climbing ladders. Outside and construction stuff was the worst. Close calls with a splitting maul and finally a mattock were the ultimate end of me wearing a ring. It might have been worse for me in that I have fairly big knuckles compared to my finger bones, and my ring sat pretty loose on my finger.

had a Seiko dress watch for over 40 years and it worked in the shop for over 35 years. It had a hard life I broke five glasses and wore out over 10 cheap leather straps never replacing the same original quality strap as it didnt matter. I was nice and light and small and fine so it didnt stick out to catch on things. Last time it went in for repair a non Seiko dealer said it had so many miles on it he was worried things were just too worn inside. Sent Seiko a photo and they said they had to see it inside to pass a judgement. Should have told me they would give me a free one as it was a testament to their quality. Friend bought me the exact same dress model and its never been and will never go in the shop. It doesnt take me long to put a patina on stuff. For now wearing the old guys timex or it might have been his sons that passed at 32. Ever see the Get Smart episode on Schwartz Island with the big eletcro magnet where Seigfried sucks the guys watch off his arm that is out in the ocean on a boat? "The watch took a licking but it kept on ticking" This one ended up in the laundry by accident. It drowned then a few days in the sun its been keeping perfect time.

The watch was on my arm to keep exact times on different steps recorded so in the end i knew where all the time went. Not as detailed as Martin where he knows the price of each part, time and and but in the end I knew if 115 hours went into that piece where all the time was in including hand picking material right up to blanket wrap and delivery. I used to ask other shops how much time into that or how much per hour and was surprised how many didnt have a clue. Those were smaller one man shops and they should have known.

Seiko if you are reading this PM me and ill give you my address

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 09-30-2018 at 1:55 PM.

Warren, the Seiko is good ...and unlike the Timex you don't have to periodicly strap them to a boat propellor to keep 'em clean and ticking.

the old one was better than the new one as it had a second hand. So timing lacquers with Reducers and endless other stuff that came in handy. Now I have to do that thousand one, thousand two, thousand three then the phone rings and I get confused. crazy as it is one day ill still show up at Seiko and get an autopsy and see if they can bring it back to life. Make a sad face and say look at all the advertising I do for you wearing this go easy on me. Figure they were able to bring the monster to life in Young Frankenstein so this should be easy.

That's funny, because my wife is a nurse and we both race sailboats. I actually prefer a countdown timer mounted on the boat so all the crew can watch it when charging the mark rather than everyone synchronizing watches and having to look at their watch. The tactician works the timer and calls out times to mark. I am a watch fanatic, but I now only wear them when offshore sailing where I might need to resort to dead reckoning in the event of navigation system failure.

That said, I want to ask about those saying they don't wear a ring in the shop. How is a ring a hazard? Seems if the ring catches on something, your finger was already going to catch on it. What am I missing? I take my ring off usually to protect the ring, like if I'm working on metal parts, but didn't really think of it as a safety hazard.

To the person who wears their ring around their neck on a lanyard- now THAT would be dangerous!!! If you lean over your saw or jointer, and it slips out and catches- yikes!!!!
    Ever try to remove a ring after you sprain a finger? That's why I never wear a ring playing sports or working in the shop. Leave it in the house or in your pocket, agree the lanyard thing could also be dangerous.

no rings never wear them or have a need or wouldnt, you get into a cutter and you are pulled in.

That's funny, because my wife is a nurse and we both race sailboats. I actually prefer a countdown timer mounted on the boat so all the crew can watch it when charging the mark rather than everyone synchronizing watches and having to look at their watch. The tactician works the timer and calls out times to mark. I am a watch fanatic, but I now only wear them when offshore sailing where I might need to resort to dead reckoning in the event of navigation system failure.
    Maybe on big boats. Never seen anyone racing a Laser, Int. 14 (or any kind of high performance dinghy), Catamaran, or sailboard without a watch on wrist. I'll race anything that sails, whether it floats, or not. Even if I'm racing a big boat, I still want the watch on my wrist. My BIL, that has only ever raced big boats, uses a digital timer built into the boat's electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Maybe on big boats. Never seen anyone racing a Laser, Int. 14 (or any kind of high performance dinghy), Catamaran, or sailboard without a watch on wrist. I'll race anything that sails, whether it floats, or not. Even if I'm racing a big boat, I still want the watch on my wrist. My BIL, that has only ever raced big boats, uses a digital timer built into the boat's electronics.

Racing a Formula 16 catamaran, I had my start timer strapped to the boom. Both skipper and crew can see it without having to look down as far. On a crowded start line, it's best to keep your hands at work and your eyes on what's going on. Towards the end of the start sequence, you're listening to tones instead of looking at it anyways. Most of us were using the same Ronstan watch, so it was kinda humorous hearing everyone's watches making the same sounds just a tiny bit off from one another.

That's one reason I like to have mine close to my ear. The last catamaran I raced was a Hobie 21, back in the 80's, on the Prosail circuit. I still have the boat, but we haven't been out on that one in years.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread about what I do about a watch (in addition to my phone which is always in a belt holster on my person when I'm not sleeping)....

IMG_2572.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got an apple watch for my 50th birthday this year and love it for the shop. I'm in gloves with ear plug hearing protectors for a good part of the day, so it is great to be able to see at a glance who is calling me, as my cell phone has become the most common way for customers (and everyone else) to get ahold of me.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Originally Posted by Derek Cohen
    Interesting question and answers!

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread.

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Lastly, yes, I do wear a watch, and it is analogue (of course).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Johnny, Patrick described it well ...

Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    But doesn't that visual at some point just become attached to the number? Like way 100 yards is a football field.

I don’t allow for any...
    watch’s, bracelets, jewellery, loose necklaces, dangly earrings, finger rings, Long hair not pulled back, Green patch safety shoes and certified safety glasses and pants (no shorts) no long sleeves and no drawstrings. The new thing is absolutely no earbuds (weather wire for wire less)

Maybe I’m being a hard ass, But if you’re paying to take part of my class, You play by The rules or just leave. My interest is in the safety and training. You can walk A horse to water, but you can’t force it to drink.

Just last week kid told me this is a green ring. I told him to take it off or get out. He already signed jewellery clause. He took it off in about two seconds. I deal with the youth that feel like they have entitlement.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 10-01-2018 at 1:14 AM.