Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Title says it all. If you answer No and think its a safety issue, please comment.

(Couldn't figure out if you could post an actual poll here or not.)

Odd question, but no. I don’t know anyone but my Dad who wears a watch at all.

Interesting question and answers!

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread.

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Lastly, yes, I do wear a watch, and it is analogue (of course).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Time keeping and time management are some of the areas in which I work professionally (I'm a shrink in my day job), and I did a little double take at the title of this thread.

Firstly, analogue time is so different from digital time. Analogue enables one to keep track of time. Of course you have to be able to visualise time frames to do so. Digital time is better for telling the time for those inexperienced in analogue time, but it comes a poor second in training one to monitor time. I often speculate how the move away from wearing watches to carrying pocket watches (mobile/cell phones), which are digital, has impacted on the youth of today?

The other bit I notice is that the presenters in videos using hand tools tend to wear analogue watches. Does does that suggest that there is a differnce in the organisational skills of hand- vs machine users?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Explain this difference. Isn't it all pretend numbers and man-made units?

Originally Posted by Derek Cohen

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Explain this difference. Isn't it all pretend numbers and man-made units?
    Johnny, Patrick described it well ...

Completely agree with Derek re analog time being entirely a different concept. I look at my watch more than my cell phone for time, and "relate" to the watch time whereas the cell phone time is just a data point - if that makes sense.
    Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Never worn a watch. Never needed one. Spent over half my life racing against one though.
    I used to obsess about my split and interval times in races for a few decades, until I realized that it was simple. You were either in front of me, or not. I didn't race or train with a computer for the last 5 years of my racing career.

Derek
    I understand where you're coming from. It's hard to explain how to compress time in a race, to a person, that has no concept of time to begin with. An analog watch is visual, you can see the rate at which time changes.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

What type of racing were (are) you doing, Mike?

Regards from Perth

Derek

What type of racing were (are) you doing, Mike?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Started out as an 800m runner in high school and Jr.college.Tried the mile a few times, but couldn't keep track of which lap I was on. Switched to racing bicycles in my mid 20's, specializing as a time trialist and leadout man, and raced for 25+ years. Did a few triathlons along the way for fun. My life was run by the second hand from about 13 years old to my mid 40's. It's bad when you know how many milliseconds each heartbeat is, and time it to your pedal stroke.
    I was also on a submarine for 4 years and 10 months, but whose counting, and we were timed, and recorded, practicing to launch SLBM's.
    I drive my wife nuts sometimes by telling her long we've been waiting, or standing in a line, to the minute.

BTW
    There is still something very elegant about a mechanical movement, analog watch, that a digital will just never achieve.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-28-2018 at 8:00 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Nope, hate having anything on my wrist. I haven't been able to get my wedding ring off for the last 30 years, so it stays put. Not about to take a hacksaw to it.

Can't believe all the old pictures with guys running lathes with neckties on.

Blog Entries
    Roger, I used to know a guy who had to wear a tie in the shop. He used to cut his ties at the back of the neck and then rejoin them with a single thread so they would tear away. Problem solved. I never tried it. I hate ties and dressing up in general. I'm wearing bib overalls now. Ahhhhhh

Originally Posted by Derek Cohen

Regards from Perth

Derek

Johnny, Patrick described it well ...

Here's an example ... what does thirty minutes look like? Thirty minutes has a shape. Does it look like the number "30", or do you visualise a half shaded circle on the clock face?

The 30 is just a data point, and this can make it difficult for some (such as those with ADHD) to plan ahead, or to monitor a period of time. This process becomes second nature to those used to visualising time frames. Analogue time pieces teaches us that time is a journey between points rather than just a moment in one place.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    But doesn't that visual at some point just become attached to the number? Like way 100 yards is a football field.

I don’t allow for any...
    watch’s, bracelets, jewellery, loose necklaces, dangly earrings, finger rings, Long hair not pulled back, Green patch safety shoes and certified safety glasses and pants (no shorts) no long sleeves and no drawstrings. The new thing is absolutely no earbuds (weather wire for wire less)

Maybe I’m being a hard ass, But if you’re paying to take part of my class, You play by The rules or just leave. My interest is in the safety and training. You can walk A horse to water, but you can’t force it to drink.

Just last week kid told me this is a green ring. I told him to take it off or get out. He already signed jewellery clause. He took it off in about two seconds. I deal with the youth that feel like they have entitlement.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 10-01-2018 at 1:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    But doesn't that visual at some point just become attached to the number? Like way 100 yards is a football field.
    I can't speak for anyone but me but when I look at an analog watch that displays 11:49 AM I do not "translate" that in my head to 11:49 unless I am communicating it to someone or memorializing it by writing or typing it. To me, my brain sees it as a chunk of time prior to the middle of the day. I don't think of that chunk of the watch dial as eleven minutes but as an amount of time that I have a rough understanding of completely separate from minutes and seconds.

My brain works the same way with measurements like your football field. I would not translate the distance to feet, yards or football fields unless I needed to communicate or memorialize the distance. The times I am most interested in measurements of that distance is on the (ball) golf or disc golf field. Looking at 100 yards I am thinking a strong pitching wedge (ball) or full control driver (disc) not in feet or yards.

With time and distance, the "native" language of my brain is not minutes or feet those are just constructs that allow me to translate time and distance to a common language in order to effectively communicate. In the end, many of the constructs are still pretty poor. A person that has never seen a feeler gauge or light peeking out between 2 pieces of metal are unlikely to be able to visualize .005" even though they know what feet and inches are. That is one reason people use a football field instead of 300 feet when describing something the same way with a piece of paper in regards to thickness, or a human hair.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, I don’t want to quote you when your whole post so... I actually get my students to measure that piece of paper. I consider it a standard protocol. Use a micrometer, vernier, then I get them to use depth mic’s , Gauge blocks, Gauge pins.
    No what is exceptable tolerance for a pre-ream hole, Proper counterbores or counter sink sizes or how to layout a bolt pattern. Our training generation does not know how to lay out a bolt pattern using a spring gage/compass. They don’t even know what SOHCAHTOA stands for.

I have tested a few mature adults and they come in stellar....What is happening with our junior adults?
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 10-01-2018 at 2:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    They don’t even know what SOHCAHTOA stands for.
    ?
    That's funny to me. I went through calc and never heard that term until my daughter said it once whilst I was helping her.
    Last edited by Warren West; 10-25-2018 at 6:41 PM.