Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

1. I don't wear watches. Never have. I'd like to because some are very nice. But I could never get used to them moving around on my wrist or catching arms hairs.

Apple Watch on my wrist except while sleeping. Being charged at night. Wedding rings came off soon after both weddings for reasons mentioned by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I didn't know that anyone but nurses, and sailboat racers wore watches any more.
    I am required by law (FAA) to wear a watch when I am at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post

I was amazed at the number of my students that couldn't tell time with an analog clock.
    I have given many lectures and public talks on childhood disorders over some decades. 25 years ago I had a standard joke when talking about ADHD (then it was termed ADD). This was a joke, but it had a serious tone .. "I can diagnose your ADHD child in 3 seconds by looking at their wrists". Everyone would get uncomfortable and some would suddenly hide their hands Then I would explain that ADHD children did not have any interest in time, and rarely wore a watch. When they did (remember, this was 25 years ago), it was a digital watch - they liked playing with the buttons. For them, it was a toy. Fast forward 25 years, and I cannot say this anymore, as most children have no interest in wearing a watch, especially an analogue watch (unless it is a Fitbit, which is fashionable). All instead carry around a pocket watch, that is, a cell phone. And these are digital. Few children are exposed to analogue time.

The awareness of time's passage, and the ability to monitor time (as opposed to telling the time), is a central factor in emotional regulation. Foreward warning or forward projection in time allows us to plan ahead and meet deadlines. Monitoring time creates a sense of urgency. This is akin to stress - which is why many adults do not want to wear a watch on weekends or when doing something fun in the shop. If you do not want to experience this sense of urgency (which aids in developing organisational skills), then wear a digital watch. On the other hand, if you like to keep an eye on your progress, with a view to setting and meeting deadlines in time, use an analogue watch.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wear a watch only when I go on business trips. Have a big old Hammond Postal Telegraph synchronous clock in my shop.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have given many lectures and public talks on childhood disorders over some decades. 25 years ago I had a standard joke when talking about ADHD (then it was termed ADD). This was a joke, but it had a serious tone .. "I can diagnose your ADHD child in 3 seconds by looking at their wrists". Everyone would get uncomfortable and some would suddenly hide their hands Then I would explain that ADHD children did not have any interest in time, and rarely wore a watch. When they did (remember, this was 25 years ago), it was a digital watch - they liked playing with the buttons. For them, it was a toy. Fast forward 25 years, and I cannot say this anymore, as most children have no interest in wearing a watch, especially an analogue watch (unless it is a Fitbit, which is fashionable). All instead carry around a pocket watch, that is, a cell phone. And these are digital. Few children are exposed to analogue time.

The awareness of time's passage, and the ability to monitor time (as opposed to telling the time), is a central factor in emotional regulation. Foreward warning or forward projection in time allows us to plan ahead and meet deadlines. Monitoring time creates a sense of urgency. This is akin to stress - which is why many adults do not want to wear a watch on weekends or when doing something fun in the shop. If you do not want to experience this sense of urgency (which aids in developing organisational skills), then wear a digital watch. On the other hand, if you like to keep an eye on your progress, with a view to setting and meeting deadlines in time, use an analogue watch.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,
    Spot on!!!

I remember hearing about things called "deadlines".

I wear a watch in the shop if I have it on. I don't take it or my wedding ring off if I am working. There is a clock in my garage/shop. I always keep track of time in some way(clock, watch, phone). I have a lot going on and need to keep track of time. I judge my success on how much I get done in a given amount of time. All of my watches are analog. I guess I just prefer the look over the digital ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, that is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Derek, that is very interesting.
    +1. Thanks Derek.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Agreed, Derek, excellent perspective.

I wear a watch, except when sleeping or showering. Growing up, punctuality was stressed, probably to a fault. Other than that, there are just so many times that timing something comes up. Then too, I like watches.

Like many males, I think, I tend to be goal oriented - Get-er-done Syndrome. With woodworking, I'm constantly reminding myself to slow down. Sometimes it works.

Yes, like many folks here, it's on my wrist from when I dress to leave, until I sleep, and only comes off for sleeping or showering --- when working on machine tools I always wear long sleeves w/ buttoned cuffs.

I've worn Casios for over thirty years. Sometimes I wear my watch when I'm doing woodworking and sometimes I don't. I can't see it as a safety hazard. It's easier for me to tell time with a watch than a phone. With a watch, I lift my wrist. With my phone, I have to take it out of the protective case (the case is a real necessity for me since I have dropped phones and broken them) and push the button to light it up. The watch is much easier to use, since I'm not constantly looking at my phone, as I see many people doing unnecessarily.

14. I wear a watch and always have. I do not take it off to work in the shop. It is typically one with a plastic or leather band and a non metal bezel. I got in the habit of non metallic when I made my living as an electrician.

I stopped wearing rings early in my career after others in my family had serious injuries because of wedding rings.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Currently my everyday watch is a Swiss Army with a ss band. My “good” watch is a Citizen “eco drive” both under $200. I have a drawer of old cheap watches dating back 40 years. Always wear one except when in bed or showering, even in the hot tub. Don’t wear rings at all. My son is an iron worker and wears a rubber wedding ring substitute.
    NOW you tell me...