Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Poll: Do you wear a watch while woodworking?

Title says it all. If you answer No and think its a safety issue, please comment.

(Couldn't figure out if you could post an actual poll here or not.)

Odd question, but no. I don’t know anyone but my Dad who wears a watch at all.

I wear a belt-loop watch these days 100% of the time, not just in the shop. A watch on my wrist became uncomfortable to me a few years ago. My "shop watch" gets worn on a side loop, however, so that it doesn't get damaged when I lean into a tool or work surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cell Phones are better time keepers than a watch, so I rarely wear a watch any more. I don't wear rings after catching my wedding band on a piece of machinery. It did painful damage and justified me not wearing one any more. My wife wasn't happy, but understood my reason. My whole career has involved being close to high speed machinery, and not just woodworking machinery.

Charley

One of my greatest passions is mechanical watches so I wear a watch 24/7/365, the only exception is the ~5 minutes I spend every day switching watches and when I shower if I am wearing a low water resistance dress watch that day.

Watches are an anachronism and mechanical ones even more so but I feel naked without one. I have never had an issue or a close call woodworking and the only activity I did not wear one doing was rock and ice climbing but did wear them alpine climbing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Cell Phones are better time keepers than a watch,

Charley
    While more of a Watchuseek forum post and extremely semantic cell phones aren't better timekeepers than most quartz watches and not nearly as good as an average HAQ movement, the timekeeping devices they sync to, however, are among the best humans can build.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have worn a watch since my father gave me one when I was learning to tell time in the first grade. I never get my phone out to check the time.

Blog Entries
    No watch and my wedding ring goes on a cord around my neck tucked into my shirt collar. I used to just take it off and hang it on a hook but, kept forgetting it in the shop. Anyone who has had a sleeve, glove, ring, watchband, fight-cancer bracelet, whatever grabbed my a power tool learns pretty quick. Unfortunately this can be a lot like tablesaw kickback; until it happens to you, you just don't get it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I didn't know that anyone but nurses, and sailboat racers wore watches any more.

maratac pilot watch most of the time, i need to fix my echodrive so i can wear that again. I only have automatic or solar and wear a watch all the time. i needed one while i was working off shore due to no electronics allowed on the rig floor, and i need to keep track of time accurately. I got my wife a LACO and she wont take it off also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I didn't know that anyone but nurses, and sailboat racers wore watches any more.
    Tom, Knowing how authentic your work is ,I'm guessing you stop for lunch by looking at a "noon mark". I'm a big fan of
    them and in the process of writing about a couple old ones in this city. But I would accept any old watches you don't want
    anymore.

I have an old school Casio digital watch. I removed the band and I keep the watch in the change pocket of my jeans. In the summer when I wear shorts without pockets I do without a watch. I am often wearing radio eamuffs and can keep track of the time that way to some degree. I don't like the feel of a watchband on my arm and I also have heard they can be dangerous so I haven't tried to overcome that dislike.
    Zach

I normally wear a watch in the shop however at the moment all my watches either have dead batteries or a broken strap. For safety reasons I never wear rings when playing sports or working with machinery.

No, but I did wear one for many years working as a machinist. Now retired, the only time I wear one is when I leave the house.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What are these watches ​you are talking about? No, I don't own one.
    Not a safety issue... there are clocks everywhere.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 09-27-2018 at 6:40 PM.