Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Maka SM6-Pii

Blog Entries
    Hi Peter,

I will do my best, there seems to be no easy way to resize photos on a mac, I can do it on my blog but it is also a tedious process.

I'd rather than come through much smaller.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I just put the pics on the desktop and then open them in Preview. (Double click on it and it opens in Preview.) In Tools there is Adjust Size and after that you either save it or save it with another name.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread because I have never seen this type of machine before. I do have a request though. Could you resize you pictures a little smaller. I'm on a WiFi internet where the tower antenna is a few miles away and the download speeds are slow compared to a hi speed cable or fiber optic. It takes a few minutes to open this thread each time I open it. The pitfalls of living rural. Thanks.
    Hi Peter. most likely the machine came from the hand chisels for the hinges for (1)(Fitscheneisen) German doors and windows

(1)
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitschenband

fit 3.jpg

machines powered by hand were soon made the just swing a knife in a curve .

fit 5.jpg

later still an oscillation type was made still hand operated

fit 2.jpg

you will note the chisel looks like the Maka now the the sides of the mortise are not round but square . motor driven machines came next.

fit 7.jpg

The Maka here vibrates like a Harley and if the machine is not set up proper it will will ware itself out . mine had wallowed the offset shaft most likely from not setting the counter wights .

The Germans were not the only one to make a swing chisel . Not sure if all have ever seen a French type swing chisel that was made in the 60s from company's like Sauterau. Unlike the German Maka it uses 3 chisel two stabbing the end grain and one swiping it clear,and may be the cleanest hole mortiser,

fit 8.jpg

here is on in action

Last edited by jack forsberg; 10-08-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Blog Entries
    Ok on the pic resize I will resize the new post. We’re on a new page.

Thanks for the history, Jack.

I had an apprentice last year who worked on an alternax, while lamenting my choices she recommended it. I looked for an Alternax for a while but I doubt any more than a few are in the states. Parveau did not reply to my inquires and so I did not pursue it further.

They make a three chisel and a single chisel. Also Lari and Lari and Centauro make swing chisel mortisers as well as a few other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Ok on the pic resize I will resize the new post. We’re on a new page.

Thanks for the history, Jack.

I had an apprentice last year who worked on an alternax, while lamenting my choices she recommended it. I looked for an Alternax for a while but I doubt any more than a few are in the states. Parveau did not reply to my inquires and so I did not pursue it further.

They make a three chisel and a single chisel. Also Lari and Lari and Centauro make swing chisel mortisers as well as a few other brands.
    ya bet there thin on the ground the Alternax . you can get a swing chisel bar for the chain mortises too. but they only go up to 5mm i think

https://www.timbertools.com/Mortise-...ial-Order.html

narrow-mortises.jpg
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 10-08-2018 at 2:36 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Blog Entries
    Very interesting, amazing how many unique devices for mortising exist.

On the build:

The air fittings are a bit beat up (er, vise-gripped! ) and I need to be able to accommodate a new pancake piston in some sort of visually appealing manner rather. I've searched for the thread on the fittings that are equipped with the machine but they're mainly 13mm....and practically impossible to find at least where I have searched thus far. Everything I have found is either 12mm or 14mm.

I'm searching out options for changing the air-fittings to AN (Army-Navy) type. AN fittings are a straight fitting with a 37 degree flare. They work in a huge variety of applications depending on their construction. I can use a nylon wrapped rubber hose which will be neat in appearance a bit more flexible than the plastic lines, a will far out an exceed the max pressure.

I had hoped to find a conversion fitting, which is the typical approach here, but no such animal exists so far as I'm aware.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 10-08-2018 at 4:11 PM.

Seems like a couple of posts back you were looking for 'pancake' air cylinders...?? If still looking, try search on respective websites for products by Bimba, Festo, and/or SMC. All have very diverse product ranges (search "low profile", "flat", "pancake").

... Also seems like your beasticule may be metric-ish and I'm not sure about metric offerings by them? (been several years since I spec'd such).

Oh, and you can work on my cars or tools ANYTIME! Looking good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Malcolm! Much appreciated.

I may have found the connector thread, I believe it is BSPP 1/4 which measures 13.2mm OD and is a straight thread. I measured the pitch this seems to be it, also fairly common use in Germany and the EU from what I've read.

Found the connector to make the jump. I like the idea of using such a connector rather than machining the threads.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 10-09-2018 at 9:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Made headway on the machine work, I wanted to go for the hardest work first so to get it accomplished. The next part will be to reseat the chisel bed and to fix some threads. I might need to move the bolt holes for the table handwheel. I’ll find out soon.

I resized these....I think. Hopefully it is better.

I started by setting the uprights parallel. I checked this with the indicator.

Next I checked the ways to verify the error I found with quick checking. One side was .005” and the other was .010” out.

Time to start cutting. Easy cuts, .002” per pass on the bed, .0005”-.001” on the sides.

Hour or so later:

place the table on and check, table’s out .003”

I cut the table but didn’t photo it.o

Blog Entries
    I need a bigger machine for the table work surface so I will bring that to a real machine shop. I can do but not in a single pass.

Great progress Brian and I like how you are not skipping steps. This beast should be right for a long, long time after you are through working it over.
    David

Blog Entries
    Thanks David! I certainly hope so, I like to work sometimes and wonder if the original designer could somehow see the work would they be mortified or give a passing nod. The ford blue might get a furrowed brow, but I’d hope the machining would get a passing nod.

A long ways off, but nice to finally start getting some shop floor space back.

You do nice work Brian, but your drywall skills could use some improvement.

Nice! I would like to have one of those as well. Of course I would like to have one of everything.

Blog Entries
    Hah, while I’d love to take credit for it, the drywall work isn’t mine.

Thank you! That is always the way, as I continue with this machine I dream of the next.