Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Maka SM6-Pii

Blog Entries
    Thanks Martin, those are awesome but don’t think they will work for this. I will file those away for the chop saw, which is a project hopefully coming up after I wrap this up. I ended up just ordering parts to make the stop. I changed it a bit from what I showed above. I think it needs to be slim and sturdy and that’s where I’m having trouble finding a good ready made setup. The slim stuff out there on the market looks like it’s fragile.

The maya stops look really top notch, the posi stop especially which is a slick idea. I’ll probably end up buying them for the chop saw.

I had a chance to finish the fence proper. I bored the reciever, shortened the shaft, cut a d profile into it then drilled and tapped the shaft (again, fixing what went haywire the first time) and bored the countersink for the bolt. All in that was 2 hrs of machine work.

Adding bearing bronze inserts paid off, moves without screeching.

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-04-2019 at 1:04 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

So sweet!

When i retire i’m Moving to your neighborhood just to watch and learn . . . . And drool more . . . .

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick! I think I’d rather move to your neighborhood. Clear out some Santa Barbara warehouse space for me and I’ll be on the road.

SMooooooothe!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok now you just made me one upping you wit my t-75 restoration I possible.

You incredibly talented.

I can’t help but think u musta been loosing your mind at DWR not exercising your creative and meachanical abilities.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, both!!

That T-75 is going to be sweet, and that's the fun part of this stuff comparing notes really helps out the whole group. Heck, I wouldn't even know this kind of machine existed if not for the forums.

Yes, definitely, however I learned so much on that job with other very relevant items I feel it was time well spent. Still, there were day's I thought to haul a work bench in and have at it in the boring moments.

Brian,

You are so right, I have learnt so much comparing notes with regard to so many tasks. Pretty much if you have the will and are good enough a googling you can normally come up with the answer to most things thanks to people sharing their experiences.

I can’t wait to get to the Martin. I’m already searching high and low for a t23 sliding table. A little afraid the enconomy is gonna tank and those of us that make a living making stuff are gonna be instead asking “would you like fires with that” ? So maybe I stop spending for a minute

Blog Entries
    Exactly, we're very lucky to be in a time period where so many people are willing to provide their experience.

Ah-ha, i've been on the same search I'm also looking at some of the older German machine from other brands as long as they have the features needed. I don't need something quite as hulking as a Martin but would like a quality build.

-- Has anyone tried to contact Lussalt recently? I emailed their manager about a chisel order but have not gotten a return. I'm starting to think they may be on holiday? They make a carbide tipped cutter with air holes running through it that I would like to purchase.

Some progress, I made a setup for the chip breaker. This will provide the ability to hold chip breakers which are wide or long and provide 3/4" of adjustment to take up space as the breaker is consumed. A new one can be applied in wood or plastic easily. It's aluminum so any kind of accidental contact won't destroy the cutter.

This will serve as a base of attachment for the dust collection. I plan to form the dust chute soon, then modify it if need be once the machine is cutting. I should certainly go the other way around but I think I can intuit where the shavings will go and I don't really want to operate it without dust collection.

Almost there, I tested the air system the other day and need to investigate a tiny leak in the foot pedal (I think I used the original o-ring there and probably should have replaced them, the original looked perfect but may have been too far crushed).

All starts here and the machining takes time. I've been remembering things that I have forgotten on getting a clean cut. This is where I started, but after this cut I started using a spray of WD-40 and the follow up cuts were clean without the tiny drag marks.

Grooved for keys and cut a recess for the insert.

Cut a slot for the bolts, I may have to enlarge that slot if it proves too close to the cutter.

Installed on the machine

I'm thinking this will provide a nice register for the parts being cut.

I purchased most of the parts for the stop, but awaiting some bushings and various cutters. I plan to make the sliding part in aluminum so to make it slide with ease I decided to installed graphite embedded bronze bushings. They're inexpensive but will require some careful fitting.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-06-2019 at 2:17 PM.

Brian Halcombe king of the corner cutters.

What a hack!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Brian Halcombe king of the corner cutters.

What a hack!

more words.

More words,

You lost me or is my true blonde nature showing through. I’m not very smart....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

more words.

Blog Entries
    There is a minimum length for the post, I just wanted to post the smilies but needed to make the post longer.

Blog Entries
    Progress, but still a good ways to go before this looks like something worthwhile.

I made the block, cut and reamed holes then pressed in graphite impregnated bronze bearings. I brought it to the machine shop for honing afterward.

Later I bored holes to receive the shafts.

Next I plan to make two retainers from aluminum, one for the end and one for the fence side, those I might press on, I’m not sure yet. Still working out the clamping aspect of it but I think my original plan may work.

This work has been interesting, it needs to be fairly precise so it is also keeping me on my toes.

I managed to get everything for a very basic micro adjuster wheel with a button for quick changes.

Once I Get close to a finished product I plan to do some detail work so that it’s a little better than just a block, something to neaten up the appearance.

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-16-2019 at 8:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Progress, but still a good ways to go before this looks like something worthwhile.

Once I Get close to a finished product I plan to do some detail work so that it’s a little better than just a block, something to neaten up the appearance.
    You, sir, are killing me. I was just about to comment upon the rather haphazard and obviously jerry-rigged nature of this contraption, but now i feel compelled to give you a bit of time to make it a bit more precise. Geesch, seems like some guys will drag almost any-old-thing into their shops . . . . . Just sayin’ . . . .
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-16-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    Hah!

In the same vein I was talking with the machine shop owner that because McMaster sorts parts by detailed specs that I tend to go overboard. As example, I did not know that graphite impregnated bearings were readily available. So where something like a cast iron part with a bit of grease would normally work perfectly it get me thinking about how to build it with bearings. A line of thinking I probably wouldn’t consider if not for that evil/wonderful catalog.

Start looking for a seemingly innocent thing like a handwheel, then you find the plain old zinc one.....but wait they also make a turned and polished aluminum....better still a stainless steel one....wait better still you could add a micrometer to it .