Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Maka SM6-Pii

Yeah but I just paid a machinist to make me the parts and ordered the rest. I did nothing but tell the guy what I wanted. I also have bases for them to fit all my sliding tables.

The stick back stuff you found looks like exactly what I need. By the time I was done with these having not had a relationship with a machinist prior I was pretty over them. The machinist I did find was a bit of a pot head a d went way out into left field reinventing the wheeel when I asked him for simple things. Point is I never put anything in the feet as I was just over it. I also noticed rubber base feet on other people’s clamps and figured I should be able to source them. After searching a bit I gave up.

I need to make two more sets of these sometime soon so maybe I’ll figure out the feet next time.

Your machine is looking great Brian. Really really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Those are nicely done, Patrick! Sounds good, medium-hard durometer rubber might be the trick.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/1312n15

Blog Entries
    It came out nicely, looks professional. Well done!

Im realizing now that I need to add a square reference to the clamp block, something which can be quickly and easily undone when it needs to be purposefully taken out of square.

I have something in mind for that.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian - I just found this thread and read from the beginning. I own a 50 year old German car, and watching your rebuild brings back some good memories of working on it, and watching others on a forum dedicated to those cars rebuild components.

I had never heard of a Maka before this but it is nice to see your work to such a high standard, and bringing new life to an old machine.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kris! There is certainly a lot of overlap between the two. As a kid building cars I never would have expected that it would be such a primer for woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Submitted without comment....

That looks an awful lot like the relay cabinet of a Weeke router
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Blog Entries
    Planning out the 'dust hood' which may well be very simple, or mildly complex depending on the tubing shape I start with.

Wondering, do you guys who have these machines running feel that 2.5" worth of dust port is enough for this machine or should I be planning on something larger. I've watched a few in action and can't quite make my mind up.

Thank you.

Brian, my STV has 6” ports left and right. I only use the left side as that is the direction we usually run the cutters. The hood has a channel from the dust port to get close to the cutter. It works pretty well but I find the hood to be a bit cumbersome when changing and adjusting cutters. Hard to describe, will get a picture today.

The SM 6 is a different animal though with the tilting. Don’t know if I have ever seen a dust hookup on those. Might be a good idea to run it a bit and see how the chips flow before designing the hood. I need to fix the air blaster on my STV at the head. I believe that would help chip flow and keep the cutter cooler.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Joe! Sounds like I need to bump the sizing up. It's an awkward spot to collect from because of the tilting as you mention.

I'm building a new chipbreaker so I'm using the holder as a foundation for the dust port.

I've been thinking it could be as simple as a tube coming off the left side with an angled cut to allow for the machine head to travel completely.

Blog Entries
    All of these holidays have been really getting in the way of the work!

At last a bit of progress. Plugging away at the remaining parts to build and soon enough I will test some system.

The fence is boring looking but that offers advantage down the road if it is needed for fixturing. I put some bearing bronze feet on it to avoid the screeching that comes with iron fences on machine tables that are not normally oiled.

It’s not complete, I need to bore a receiver for the shaft and counter sink the bolt head. I will also cut and tap bolt holes to hold the Teflon plate.

I also plan to shorten the shaft so that it’s not a knuckle buster.

Always impressive, sir.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

I picked up some stainless steel for the dust hood. Stainless was cheaper given the minimum quantity was considerably lower and the parts already nearly to size.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 12-31-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Looks real Brian!

Goddam holidays infringing on work time. It’s a co start battle for me also. Get a day off work and finally time to work on your own projects and blam other people want my time. Really sucks to be wanted right

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick! Hah, it’s probably good for me to take a break but the itch to accomplish something is ever present.

You gentlemen need some incentive. I took the 24th and 25th off. Worked everyday since.

My incentive is getting drawings to the floor and code to the router so the employees have something to do.

I even spent a little time polishing up my $400 shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    You gentlemen need some incentive. I took the 24th and 25th off. Worked everyday since.

My incentive is getting drawings to the floor and code to the router so the employees have something to do.

I even spent a little time polishing up my $400 shaper.
    I was forced to not work on Christmas.