Thread: Guide Bearings on 18" Powermatic Bandsaw

Guide Bearings on 18" Powermatic Bandsaw

Both thrust guide bearings on my bandsaw have a metal cover with 3 different grooves to choose from (pic 3). (V-groove, flat-groove and plain). I need to replace the lower bearing, but I'm not sure how the cover comes off. I pressed the shaft out. It looks like the cover must be in 2 parts that are probably pressed together? One side has a smaller diameter face that retains the bearing (pic 2) and the other side had a clip ring between the outer bearing race and the cover (pic 1). It looks like the bearing is press fit in cause it ain't budging, and the outer lip of the cover is just a bit too small for the bearing to pass through.

Looks like there's a line around the cover, inside one of the guide groovesbear2.jpgbear3.jpgbear1.jpg where the two halves meet? Just wondering if someone more knowledgeable here can confirm that's how this assembly comes apart. And how do I go about separating the halves? I guess they could be threaded?

Every grooved bearing I can find an image of, has the grooves machined into the actual bearing case. I personally had never seen bearings with a cover like this, but what do i know? The manual's parts diagram shows the shaft, cover and bearing as 3 separate parts, so I think I'm on the right track. I just would rather not destroy the cover in the attempt.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Nevermind. It pressed right out of the larger opening.