Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maka SM6-Pii

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Maka SM6-Pii

After a long but mainly passive search, one of these machines came up for sale near me. I plan to restore it. It runs well and the pneumatics function but it has a few points i need to address.

If nothing else I can greatly admire whomever designed this machine, it leaves me in awe a bit.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Watched a video of this animal in action. Jeez - a hungry buzzsaw for sure. Sounds like a chain gun on a Warthog. Questions - Is the garage starting to get full? Do you tend to dim the lights in the neighborhood from time to time? How does one collect dust for this new addition?
    David

I'm very jealous Brian. Occasionally I see knives come on the market, will be sure to give you a heads up when do.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Mark Hennebury is the man for these machines, so he’s probably made the video that you saw.

To say the garage is getting full is to put it modestly, I think my wife is going to drop a cast iron table on my foot if she sees another one show up here.

im looking forward to using it, I put some rubber feet in the hopes it will quiet it down slightly.

Yea, not only is "that garage" getting full...it's a tight single version to-boot! What a nice find, however...I enjoyed our conversation about it this afternoon. I didn't know such things existed!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim! The pleasure is mine!

Hah, yes this is small even by one-car standards.

Like Jim, I had no idea what it was, had to look it up. Cool machine, although I'm guessing it'll rattle your teeth.

Nice get. Mark is the man and likely has some chisels if you need them and lots of advice. His resto work is second to none. I have a Maka in storage but no experience with it. When something like that comes up, need is secondary. Dave

woodmortise3[1].jpg

Thanks Brian and David.

Dang....that thang cuts fast! Brian described it to be yesterday when he was visiting, but it's hard to visualize until you "see the buzz". Thanks for sharing that video, Mark!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking great Brian! What did you use to cover the air lines? It almost looks like tubular nylon webbing, the type used for rock climbing rigs.

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

Jeff, that describes it accurately. McMaster describes it as expandable polyester sleeving, this is the first that I’ve used it and I think it works quite well. I sized it to one tube and it expanded to cover both tightly.

The sleeve around the foot pedal tubing was more of a dense weave, very similar to the material used on welders.

I ordered a new air piston, and a big hunk of aluminum to make a mount. I matched sizing to the original as best as possible. The piston is 2-1/2” rather than the original which I believe is 60mm. I found some npt to BSPP fittings for that but I may simply recut the thread to accommodate BSPP and have the assembly look factory.

Given how many different shafts I need to fit im now on the hunt for a boring head for the mill.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 10-28-2018 at 9:35 AM.

The Maka is looking great Brian! Your metal working skills are awesome. Are you spraying the paint and what brand?

Brian, Great work! the Maka should cut crisp, clean accurate joints with how tight you have made it.