Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Maka SM6-Pii

Didn’t know what that was until I watched a YouTube video. That thing is fierce!

Blog Entries
    Fierce is a great description of it!

One step closer;

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian, when I win the lottery, you're coming over to rebuild and restore three pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Brian, when I win the lottery, you're coming over to rebuild and restore three pieces.
    The only problem with that is that Brian makes things look better than new and you won't want to use them. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Hah, I appreciate that sentiment! Thanks gents.

I'm thinking to use UHMW plastic for the clamping pad, along the fence and for the chip breaker. Have you guys any experience in cutting it with woodworking tools. I assume it will not damage HSS or carbide woodworking tools but I thought it best to check first with you folks.

No harm cutting the plastic...best results from the correct type of blade, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim!

In a previous life I was the facilities manager for a seaport. We used UHMW for facing piers and wharf rails. Regular carpentry tools, no problems.

Let me know when you’re moving to Texas. I’m sure my brother Guido, can persuade my neighbor to make you a deal on his house - neither of you can refuse.

I’d think you need to go easy on your air pressure to the clamp. That’s a lot of cantilever you’ve got going on, plus I’d lose sleep over the steel shaft into the aluminum cylinder mount. It may have a tendency to wallow out due to stress concentration?

....No idea how much clamp force you need on this beast?

Just to further the hijack, this is my typical playground.... in mid-commissioning, so still needs cleanup and covers:
    28F8B8AF-9058-41C6-9F76-51D1002F10E4.jpgD0855841-7371-48BC-BF04-6310BBBC345C.jpg
    Maybe 40 of those next year? 400 in next 3-5 years?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    In a previous life I was the facilities manager for a seaport. We used UHMW for facing piers and wharf rails. Regular carpentry tools, no problems.
    Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Let me know when you’re moving to Texas. I’m sure my brother Guido, can persuade my neighbor to make you a deal on his house - neither of you can refuse.

I’d think you need to go easy on your air pressure to the clamp. That’s a lot of cantilever you’ve got going on, plus I’d lose sleep over the steel shaft into the aluminum cylinder mount. It may have a tendency to wallow out due to stress concentration?

....No idea how much clamp force you need on this beast?
    Hah! Sounds like a few of my extended family.

I agree totally, but the original is actually cast aluminum, thinner around the mount and pinned. All that seemed like a lot of stress risers to me, so I decided to thread this one and put a heavy shoulder on it. I increased the shoulder size by .030".

I sized the cylinder to be identical to the original, or as close as I could get. I'll probably start off at about 85 PSI which is about 6 bar, the recommended minimum from Maka. I dont know if perhaps these have become more efficient over time, so another reason to start on the light side of the pressure recommendations.

I don't know what the failure mode would look like, perhaps it will crack around the mount or bust off with applied pressure, but worst case I figure I'll have to make another one out of steel if it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Just to further the hijack, this is my typical playground.... in mid-commissioning, so still needs cleanup and covers:
    28F8B8AF-9058-41C6-9F76-51D1002F10E4.jpgD0855841-7371-48BC-BF04-6310BBBC345C.jpg
    Maybe 40 of those next year? 400 in next 3-5 years?
    Beautiful! I've really come to appreciate this work, it is very nice.

Brian,

First: your work on this is just fantastic! I've really enjoyed watching the progress.

I wonder if UHMW is the best choice for the clamp pad? I wonder if leather would be better at keeping the work from vibrating back and forth with the cutter? I would think it would take less clamping pressure, I'm just thinking out loud here.....

I can't wait to see chips fly from this machine!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jeff! Good point, perhaps a hard leather or hard non marring rubber might be better. I’ll do some searching and see what’s out there.

You should just look at what Mac “air tight clamps uses”

I made my own air clamps and was able to source the feet pretty easy. The ones I purchased don’t have the rubber of macs but in all honestly work fine. I just put a scrap of wood atop my workpiece. Problem solved.

2D39FB1F-7F90-46B3-96B5-A892AB7960EC.jpg

of
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks Jeff! Good point, perhaps a hard leather or hard non marring rubber might be better. I’ll do some searching and see what’s out there.

Blog Entries
    Those are nicely done, Patrick! Sounds good, medium-hard durometer rubber might be the trick.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/1312n15