Thread: Cigar Ashtray Finish

Question Cigar Ashtray Finish

Hi all,

I've recently got into woodturning and found a nice design for a cigar ashtray. Not sure what to use for a finish though. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm not a smoker, so I'm guessing here. I'd expect a wooden ashtray to get scarred by heat, so I'd be looking for a finish that doesn't emphasize the scars. For instance, a shiny piano finish would highlight any damage. Instead, I'd use a non-shiny finish. Maybe an oil finish like Watco, or a matte varnish.

I’m not aware of any DIY finish that will tolerate a 1600F cigar tip temperature.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I believe the last time this came up, the answer was to turn something that will take an available glass insert...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You won't get a finish that will do the job. 120C is absolute maximum for a good epoxy and less for other finishes. Turn it out of an extremely hard and dense timber and don't finish the interior. Stump wood is best. Briar is a common example. I don't know what else you have available but If you can get hold of jarrah, ironbark, NSW Blue Gum, River Red Gum, bloodwood, etc etc you will be fine. I don't know of any comparable timbers to recommend from the Northern Hemisphere. All those species are eucalypts. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.