Thread: Storage Cabinet for Kitchen

Storage Cabinet for Kitchen

We've got a cabinet area in the mud room (52" wide X 30-1/2" deep, with an extra 13" in depth in the lower portion for drawers) in which we had temporary shelving overflowing with kitchen items. After 14 years in this house it was time to make a real cabinet out of it.

The doors are cherry and painted MDF. The shelves and drawer fronts are, also, cherry and painted MDF. The trim and spindles are cherry.

I would like to have shown the cabinet empty but, with over three weeks between the installation of the shelving and the hanging of the doors and then another month before the door pockets were finished we, simply, had to stock the shelves and drawers before the pictures.

P1040868.jpgP1040875.jpgP1040871.jpg

Really like the high contrast and verticality. Will turn ordinary stuff into vaulted treasure!

What kind of hinges did you use to hold the weight of the doors and the items that will be placed in them? It just seems they would be really heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Mills View Post
    What kind of hinges did you use to hold the weight of the doors and the items that will be placed in them? It just seems they would be really heavy.
    Yes, I was concerned about the weight of the doors so, after considering door hinges, I went with 3" hinges, 4 per door and long screws which reach into the door framing. Incidentally, the door panels are 1/2" Ultralight MDF, which is 1/3 lighter than regular MDF.