Thread: Largest Woodturning Chuck

Largest Woodturning Chuck

What is the largest woodturning chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    What is the largest woodturning chuck?
    The largest in what way, The most massive in weight, the largest body diameter, that with jaws that open to grip the largest diameter tenon, the one rated by it's maker as handling the largest blank in weight, diameter, or length? What do you want it to turn and with what lathe?

Chucks Plus has "Chuckzilla" BullDog 5¾" - BD 575 this chuck weighs in at 10 lbs without jaws. I put 8" Vicmarc jaws on it and that brings it up to about 12+ lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Chucks Plus has "Chuckzilla" BullDog 5¾" - BD 575 this chuck weighs in at 10 lbs without jaws. I put 8" Vicmarc jaws on it and that brings it up to about 12+ lbs.
    Is that the equivalent of the VM150? It looks like a big one too. I have the 120 and it’s large so I’m guessing the 150 is really beefy.
    https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option...category_id=14

I purchased an outboard turning stand from a machine shop down in Baltimore. They had a giant metal lathe chuck about 24 inches in diameter for which they machined giant wood lathe chuck jaws. They turn wooden patterns for engine flywheels etc. They also had a face plate that was close to 4ft in diameter. I have heard that a member of my turning club has a face plate that weighs over 300 pounds and he can turn items up to 8 or ten feet in diameter with a giant low speed home built lathe.

I seem to recall a pretty big one on the lathe used to turn ship masts at Mystic Seaport. It was about the size of my whole lathe.