Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got screwed

I got screwed

I'm just starting to setup my workshop and thought I'd get my screw situation under control before it got too big.

I engraved up some tags to label the bins so I know at glance what size they are. The tags are cut from 1/16" sign acrylic. I used blue and white for the Blue-Kote screws from Kreg and I also cut some Kreg logos for the outside so I can tell which bin is which when they are on a shelf or in a cabinet.

20180916_105333_resized.jpg20180920_194042_resized.jpg20180916_105346_resized.jpg20180916_105413_resized.jpg

I was also searching around for info on pilot hole sizes and came across a screw chart that someone had posted (originally it was from Wood Magazine). It seemed like a handy thing to have out in the shop, so I engraved it onto some 1/8" Baltic Birch. I'll probably mount it to a cabinet door for quick and easy reference.

20180926_180920_resized.jpg20180926_180930_resized.jpg
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

The Milwaukee organizer cases are great aren't they? Nice labels.

Nice job, I am quite envious. However, after making a million trips to Home Depot to get a machine screw for a project I purchased 2 those little bags of every size and length from #4 to 1/4" and put them into a bin organizer. Have't had to make a special trip to the BORG to buy a 78 cent part since. well except for the times I needed metric. Anyway I need to do what you did with my wood screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The Milwaukee organizer cases are great aren't they? Nice labels.
    Thanks. Which Milwaukee organizer is that one? It looks like it uses the same bins as mine, but is wider for that space in the middle. I'm pretty happy with these so far. My only complaint is that the lid does not open past the vertical, so it closes on its own to easily. I do also wish you could buy the bins separately though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Nice job, I am quite envious. However, after making a million trips to Home Depot to get a machine screw for a project I purchased 2 those little bags of every size and length from #4 to 1/4" and put them into a bin organizer. Have't had to make a special trip to the BORG to buy a 78 cent part since. well except for the times I needed metric. Anyway I need to do what you did with my wood screws.
    My plan is to add more of these so I can do exactly what you did, buy a supply of machine screws and bolts so I always have at least a few on hand of whatever I might need. Did you leave the machine screws in the bags, or separate them out like I did?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Keith, what type of setup do you have for engraving? The labels look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    Keith, what type of setup do you have for engraving? The labels look great.
    Thanks Ken. I have an Epilog Mini 24 60w laser that I made the labels on. They are so small that I can fit them on leftover pieces of sign acrylic for the most part. They have 3M double sided adhesive on the backs, so once they are cut out I just peel and stick them.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    Thanks. Which Milwaukee organizer is that one? It looks like it uses the same bins as mine, but is wider for that space in the middle. I'm pretty happy with these so far. My only complaint is that the lid does not open past the vertical, so it closes on its own to easily. I do also wish you could buy the bins separately though.
    My plan is to add more of these so I can do exactly what you did, buy a supply of machine screws and bolts so I always have at least a few on hand of whatever I might need. Did you leave the machine screws in the bags, or separate them out like I did?

I think the ones you have are the older version of what I have. I have a rollaway kit for all my tools including the organizer box.

Here's the bottom rollaway box

Here's the tool box with the handle

Here's the smaller tool box

And I needed more room for other things in the organizer box and not as many Kreg screws
    so I put dividers in them and gained 2 bins

Check out your local “Borg” for storage boxes. I found some at HD that have 2 levels and open like a piano top for my screws but they sure get heavy when loaded! They had several different case styles that could be used for screws and such. Love the labeling system you used.
    Pete

I left them in the bags. Part laziness, part knowing I would mix up the bolts. But Mostly laziness.

I think the ones you have are the older version of what I have. I have a rollaway kit for all my tools including the organizer box.

And I needed more room for other things in the organizer box and not as many Kreg screws
    so I put dividers in them and gained 2 bins
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\COL~1.HAJ\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1 \01\clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

Searching the Milwaukee site, it appears mine are the current “Jobsite Organizer” and yours is the current “PACKOUT Organizer”. I do like that area in the center for storing bits and such that are used with the screws in the same box. And that’s a great idea to divide the bins in half like that. Do you find it harder to get screws out when your quantity is running low?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Check out your local “Borg” for storage boxes. I found some at HD that have 2 levels and open like a piano top for my screws but they sure get heavy when loaded! They had several different case styles that could be used for screws and such. Love the labeling system you used.
    Pete

I did pick these up at the local orange BORG. I was actually disappointed in the lack of options that I found.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I left them in the bags. Part laziness, part knowing I would mix up the bolts. But Mostly laziness.

Getting them mixed up would be my concern. The Kreg screws and deck screws are pretty easy identify, but machine screws and bolts/nuts have some many more variations to get mixed up.

V/R,

Keith Upton
    Event Mission Director
    C2BMC System Test
    Missile Defense Agency
    Raytheon
    Work: (719) 721-8036 / DSN 312-721-8036
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Searching the Milwaukee site, it appears mine are the current “Jobsite Organizer” and yours is the current “PACKOUT Organizer”. I do like that area in the center for storing bits and such that are used with the screws in the same box. And that’s a great idea to divide the bins in half like that. Do you find it harder to get screws out when your quantity is running low?
    I didn't know that about the jobsite version. I've only looked into the packout system because I needed something with wheels. I was replacing a FatMax rolling box. The Milwaukee holds much more.

As for the dividers, yes. When the Kreg screws get low it does get a bit harder to get them. I just pull the bin out and cover the other side with my palm and pour out the screws on the other side.

I didn't know that about the jobsite version. I've only looked into the packout system because I needed something with wheels. I was replacing a FatMax rolling box. The Milwaukee holds much more.

As for the dividers, yes. When the Kreg screws get low it does get a bit harder to get them. I just pull the bin out and cover the other side with my palm and pour out the screws on the other side.
    The PACKOUT system looks to have more options for organizers, but from the specs on their site I can't tell if they are completely modular or not. Their length and/or widths are not listed as the same.

It also does not appear that the Jobsite Organizer is comparable with the PACKOUT system. And apparently, even though the two Organizers are nearly the same size, the PACKOUT version is twice as expensive. The Jobsite version does have a weather seal gasket, but they do not actually list it as IP65 rated like the PACKOUT version. Perhaps that is where the difference in price comes from.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

This is what I used - from Orange Borg.
    Husky 22 in. 22-Compartment Connect Cantilever Organizer for Small Parts Organizer
    I like them as screws stay in their bins. Don’t know if I would get this style again as need space for the hinged piano top to open. Sure does hold a lot of different items!

The PACKOUT system looks to have more options for organizers, but from the specs on their site I can't tell if they are completely modular or not. Their length and/or widths are not listed as the same.

It also does not appear that the Jobsite Organizer is comparable with the PACKOUT system. And apparently, even though the two Organizers are nearly the same size, the PACKOUT version is twice as expensive. The Jobsite version does have a weather seal gasket, but they do not actually list it as IP65 rated like the PACKOUT version. Perhaps that is where the difference in price comes from.
    The Packout System boxes interlock together. Drop on on top of another an push it back and they lock together with a click. There is a small release sliding lever on the front that is operated by a finger lifting it up. Then you pull the box forward and it releases from the box it was locked too.

The Packout System boxesinterlock together. Drop on on top of another an push it back and they locktogether with a click. There is a small release sliding lever on the front thatis operated by a finger lifting it up. Then you pull the box forward and itreleases from the box it was locked too.

The Jobsite Organizer willstack to itself as well, but it uses two claps on the side of it. So definitely not compatable with the PACKOUTstuff.

Does anyone know if youcan place two of the PACKOUT compatct organizers side by side on top of thefull size organizer? What about two of thecompact slim organizers on top of each other, next to a normal compact on topof the full size organizer?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w