Thread: HNT Gordon Planes for North American & Non-cranky Woods

HNT Gordon Planes for North American & Non-cranky Woods

Hi All,

I will be placing an order with HNT gordon for their tail vise soon, and since I'm paying for shipping from the land down under already, was considering their jack plane: https://hntgordon.com.au/products/ja...12449150107766

I chose the jack plane as it doesn't have a norris adjuster but still has the western style tote and knob, which I prefer. The iron is bedded at 55 degrees, and it arrives set up for smoothing (no camber) but I can change that if required.

I was wondering if anyone has experience using HNT Gordon planes on north american woods, which are generally easier to work than australian woods - does the high angle and lack of chipbreaker make them less practical for our native woods? I don't want to purchase this plane only to have it sit around as a paperweight.

Thanks

Might save some postage going with https://store.theunpluggedwoodshop.c...on/Bench-Plane i'm not sure.

The HNT is versatile and usable on many timbers. I have used it on anything from pine to blackbutt (i'm in Australia) and other aussie hardwoods. I like mine with a slight camber. HNT gordon has suggested sharpening advice included with their tools.

I've also got their smoother, spokeshaves and a few shoulder planes from them. Nice stuff. The shoulder planes, I do tend to prefer the lower angle stanley variety on softer end grain, though.

I have a Chinese style try plane.

It's an excellent worker...on easy wood too.

If you want a wooden jack with a chip breaker, you could try Steve Voigt. I have not tried his planes (next time Lie-Nielsen comes around I will go just to look at his stuff). He is making traditional double iron planes, and from what I understand is doing very good work.

I have a traditional double iron wooden jack plane similar to what he makes (I was lucky enough to find a practically unused antique), and mine is a monster. It has worked very well with oak, walnut, and various softer woods.