Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who made this head?

Who made this head?

Its in a S970 30" double whitney I just picked up.

I am thinking Gladu, need to send them some pictures to see if they know if its theirs.

Does any know otherwise?
    20180924_123739.jpg

While I have no idea I am intrigued. It appears there are about 30 separate heads that index together? Does it have a central shaft?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    While I have no idea I am intrigued. It appears there are about 30 separate heads that index together? Does it have a central shaft?
    Yes, I believe it does and I believe gladu an one other company made one like this. I need to pull an insert and see if they are just two sided an indexable, vs. grinding them. I did get bottom head grinder stand and grinder, but no evidence of a finger that would follow knives.

Cool! Looks like they're on a slight shear, are the knives radiused? I have a Gladu head in a 24" planer but it uses the more popular 4-sided carbide inserts.

Thanks to the guys at Newman Whitney, the 970 was built in 1972 and head is a wesson. It was shipped to the customer without heads.

Talked to Wesson today, they may have a drawing for it still and can make new inserts. We are pretty sure it is not a grind in place head. I need to pull an insert tomorrow.

I didn’t realize the spiral cutterhead has been around for 45 years! I thought that was a fairly recent design. Thanks for sharing even though I’m no help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Jansen View Post
    I didn’t realize the spiral cutterhead has been around for 45 years! I thought that was a fairly recent design. Thanks for sharing even though I’m no help at all.
    They are kinda like pocket hole machines they had been around forever but Kreg brought them into the consciousness of hobbyists as did Byrd with insert cutterheads.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Wonder why they didn’t use the Newman spiral heads? Those are ground on the machine. I was under the impression they were the “ultimate” head (and they’ve been around a long time).

"the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Most of the old spiral heads had to be sharpened in place with a special grinder. I don't think there were many rotating insert designs but Darcy will know. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Most of the old spiral heads had to be sharpened in place with a special grinder. I don't think there were many rotating insert designs but Darcy will know. Dave
    The planer was ordered without heads, customer was supposed to install used Oliver itch heads. Apparently that didn't happen as this head is dated 1972.

This head actually has 4 sided inserts that you just rotate.

The Newman head was developed around the late 60s early 70s I believe.

All cleaned up, most issues repaired, just need my carbides I ordered and to change bearings in bottom head motor. 20181029_180811.jpg

For years I worked in a mill shop that had a big Whitney. We used it mainly for non trim type stuff. Looks like this one
    has the coveted Princess endorsement !

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    All cleaned up, most issues repaired, just need my carbides I ordered and to change bearings in bottom head motor. 20181029_180811.jpg
    Looking nice!

Wow look at that thing. Just beautiful!

We just dint make anything close to anything like that anymore.

Not even close...

Just love it.