Thread: LN no 48 for a lefty

LN no 48 for a lefty

Ok, so got a nice gift cert for Lie Nielsen burning a hole in my pocket. One of the tools I’ve wanted for a while is the tongue and groove plane. As I was about to hit the order button though I got to thinking. I’m left handed, have a “lefty bench” and when possible but lefty versions of planes (veritable miter, small plow and skew rabbet). The 48 doesn’t have a lefty version. I know this is a shot in the dark but has any other lefty in my situation stayed away from this plane for that reason? I could get the blades for my veritable small plow but have read that it’s a little finicky to set up. Would love to have the 48 set up and ready to go. Is using my vise “backwards” really a problem but pushing away from it vs towards it like normal?

I wouldn't think that the forces involved in using a tongue in groove plane would overstress a normal vise is any direction, but I have no evidence to support this.

When I started out learning how to use hand tools, way back in the dark ages (everyone kept a dinosaur out back, and milked it for lamp fuel), there were no left handed versions of fenced and otherwise "handed" planes. I've learned how to use such planes as built for right handed (and thus wrong minded) folks. My bench is set up for my left handed self, but it's never been an issue using, say, a No. 45 or 78 on stock held in the vise.

I'm a lefty, have that plane, and use it in my vises without any trouble.

And it is a blast to use.

Get it if you want it.

ETA: There's no skew involved in these planes. The only difference between the way a lefty would use it compared to a righty is on which side of the board the fence is registering. Just remember to start at the far end of the board and work backward in overlapping increments before you start making those sweet full length sausage curl shavings (great fire starters, btw).
    Last edited by David Myers; 09-25-2018 at 8:38 PM.

Yeah, I know there is no skew, but I've got my face vise on the right side of my bench, and am always pushing the plane towards the vise with all my planes, here I'd be facing the other way and pushing the plane away. If the piece is wide enough using a holdfast or two would solve any potential problems. Sounds like I should pull the trigger and my fears are unfounded.

Blog Entries
    To use it lefty, just hold the fence on the other side of the work.

A touch awkward until you get used to it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)